Friday, October 15, 2010

Double Baked Cookie Accident




Today I planned on making a wonderful little post that talked about these wonderful little things called double baked cookies…however I must confess they were NOT supposed to be double baked.. If someone (not naming names here) could have baked them all the way the first time these texturally satisfying cookies would have never been born. I happened to bake these cookies in a loaf pan, let them out of the oven to rest, the middles collapsed as I got hooked into watching Teen Mom. Thanks MTV.


And here they are.






INGREDIENTS


• 1/2 cup butter
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup peanut butter
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 egg
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup rolled oats
• 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips







DIRECTIONS



Pre-heat your oven to 350.


In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the peanut butter, vanilla and egg until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the batter just until moistened. Mix in the oats and chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Drop by golf ball sized spoonfuls on to lightly greased cookie sheet.



Bake these bad boys for just 6-8 minutes…only about half way then remove from oven to cool for a few minutes. Once you are able to touch work the dough in to a ball. The ball will be made of half baked cookie and half raw dough. The melted chocolate chips make it very easy to re-work. Make large golf ball sized cookies, press down with fork (dip your fork in cold water so the cookie does not stick) I also used my fork to even the edges out. Place on cookie sheet.


Bake for another 6-10 minutes or until browned, remove from oven and cool on the pan.


I topped mine with vanilla ice cream and extra chocolate chips. So if you ever find yourself with a pile of half baked cookies by accident …double bake them jerks.


26 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how sometimes mistakes turn into great discoveries!

mamtc said...

love the cookies and I agree with megan.

Cathy said...

You are a real problem solver. Sometimes the best discoveries are the result of a mistake...sometimes not.

~Lisa~ said...

kekeke. I totally agree, a balanced diet is definitely a cookie in each hand. And damn MTV haha. Love it (=

Monet said...

Smile. This post made me realize that we can even turn our mistakes into something worth sharing. Thanks for not giving up on your cookies...the end result looks pretty great!

Velva said...

I enjoyed this post. I am just the person who would easily get distracted and have to bake my cookies twice. Nice.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Hi Jenn, I got your blog comment and would definitely love to email with you about blogger events, etc. I couldn't find your email address so please email me: funandfearlessinbeantown AT gmail DOT com. xo - Michelle

Brownieville Girl said...

Mistakes like that you could make any day!!!!

scrambledhenfruit said...

These look super- I'll bet they were really special with the ice cream!

Treat and Trick said...

Surprisingly these turns out great, really yum topped with ice cream..

http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

Larissa said...

Yum! Looks like a delicious accident!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

These look excellent!

Julie said...

I guess that Teen Mom show is good for something...hehe :D These look super!

The Church Cook said...

I like your motto! Yes, indeed! Great post.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Great looking cookies! So you invented the Biscotti Cookie :o) Very, very clever!

Unknown said...

Oh, amazing! I definitely live by that motto! XX!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

So...moral of the story don't get hooked on MTV while baking? :-)

Great pictures!

Faith said...

when life gives you unbaked cookie dough, ya bake em again! We got rid of cable last year and sometimes I miss being able to watch the MTV craziness!

Beth said...

Perfect! Some of my favorite recipes have come about by mistake. I love your resilient attitude!

Angie's Recipes said...

awesome cookies! I love how rich and luscious they look!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

remember, when something turns out that good its not a mistake!!! You planned it all along...yeah!
they do look delicious1

Mary said...

Great problem-solving! I probably would have eaten the half-cooked ones and had nothing to blog about. They look delicious, and with peanut butter, chocolate and oats you really can't go wrong.

Lorraine said...

This is one yummy looking mistake. I like that giant dollop of ice cream on top too:)

Ali said...

I think you're onto something here.

Unknown said...

I love when mistakes in the kitchen turn out so well! They look delicious and BIG!! YUM!

Rick said...

Hell yes! This is what I dream about.