Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mascarpone Orecchiette with Sausage & Beans





I had to laugh when I read that quote above. How many times have I planned a meal or what to order at a restaurant due to the Kid factor…too many times! Ha, I promise myself right now to reduce this number, unless that is the scream factor crosses a certain decibel level – that might equal a big time cave on mommies part. That and hugs, I am a complete sucker for hugs….and smooches….and unwarranted I love you's


And the list goes on…and on


Delightfully borrowed from a very very favorite blog of mine Stirring The Pot





INGREDIENTS

1 pound Orecchiette pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1.25 pound turkey sausage, casing removed (1 package)
1 small onion, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese (I used the full container)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 Marsala wine


DIRECTIONS

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.







In a large, heavy skillet warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and onions. Using a wooden spoon break up the sausage into bite-sized pieces as it browns.







Continue cooking until the sausage is golden and the onions are tender. Deglaze the pan with about 1/2 cup Marsala wine and add the garlic. Add the beans and oregano cook for 2 more minutes.






Add the cup of pasta cooking liquid and stir, scrapping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the mascarpone cheese and stir until it dissolved into a light sauce.







Add the salt, pepper, and hot pasta. Stir until coated and serve on a cold blustery night…light a fire…pour some wine….and don’t listen to the kid whine!



33 comments:

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I love the combo of mascarpone, sausage and pasta. This looks super easy and hearty. Delish!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is a kind of dish I adore! So comforting and tasty.

Cheers,

Rosa

Delicious Dishings said...

That looks amazing! I love mascarpone incorporated in a savory dish like this.

Kim said...

Thanks for the shout out girly! Too funny - I just made this recipe again last night (4th time now) and I really contemplated adding in the whole container of mascarpone. I love that you did that. I'm going for it next time! Looks great.

Gwen said...

Yay for sausage and beans! I would never have thought to use mascarpone cheese! Yum me!
I looove that quote! So true! That's the basis for my blog, kid friendly foods without sacrificing flavour! I refuse to eat bland foods. We have a saying around our house " You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit!"

Monica H said...

Mascarpone melts into the sauce! Good lord!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Love the quote! Even applicable to big kids :) Your recipe sounds really good too!

Faith said...

The pasta looks incredible but can we talk for a minute about the bread beside it? (that is bread right?) Did u buy that or make it? It looks like some kind of wonderful.

Evan B said...

I absolutely love the sound of this pasta.. such wonderful ingredients! I can't wait to give it a go. And I'm with Faith.. that bread also looks delicious

Julie said...

If I scream loud enough will you bring me a pot of this?

Heather Baird said...

It's very, very cold here. I need this dish in my life. YUM!

NEL, the batter baker said...

It looks so yummy! And i like the quote :)

Clements Family said...

That looks delish...love the quote. If I listened to my kids we would be going to Chick Fila every night!!

Monet said...

Can I please have a bowl? What a great quote and what a great recipe. Both brought a smile to my face. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you and your sweet one have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmmmmascarpone cheese....I love this dish already!!!

Angie's Recipes said...

My type of comfort food and wonderful for the chilly weather too!

Brownieville Girl said...

Oh my, delicious stuff - I could eat a huge bowlfull right this minute!

Lorraine said...

Love a one-pot meal. This looks great. Anything that has mascarpone is okay in my book.

I love that quote. I have two teenagers. I can no longer ask them what they want for dinner; I must tell them...lol Although, I am like you and still cave even now that they are big.

Jenn Shagrin said...

Thank you so much! I feel your pain...my last kitchen didn't even have enough room for a chair.

So glad you enjoyed the recipe. Yours looks great...I want to veganize it ASAP.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Mmm, this looks perfect, warm and delicious for a cold night. I love sausage dishes, and my husband loves them even more, so this is right up our alley! Thanks for sharing, Jen!

Ali said...

I can't even imagine how tough it is NOT to cave in when you have a cute little mini-you making requests.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I love the quote. You're right on! and dang that looks so good. Do you think I could substitute for cream cheese? just thinking about what's in my fridge.

teresa said...

LOVE the quote, definitely words to live by! kim's blog is so great isn't it! i remember this recipe too, it look like it would warm the belly adn the soul!

La Bella Cooks said...

Ha ha, that quote is awesome. I used to cave to my kids desires when out and I swear it was the worst thing I could have done with my son who became ultra picky. My daughter was happy to try anything an this pasta would be up her alley too!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

YUM! What a hearty dish. Love those little cup shaped pastas!

BakingWithoutaBox said...

Great ingredient combo! And I just love that quote. That's the truth!

Lisa said...

This sounds so easy to make and yet it probably tastes as good as anything you can find in a five star restaurant. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

MrsKinne said...

This looks yummy-- and I've never used mascarpone cheese before, so that would be fun. :)

Peggy said...

I definitely love the flavor combination going on here! Definitely trying this soon!

Beth said...

What a great quote! And the orecchiette looks delicious too!

~Lisa~ said...

Looks fantastic! Something the whole fam would enjoy!

test it comm said...

This pasta sounds nice and simple and so tasty!

Eliana said...

This pasta has comfort and delicious written all over it!