Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Little Kitchens - Strawberry Soup




Hello and step right up for the second installment of Little Kitchens, not only does it involve my truly little kitchen it also involves my little human, Indigo. Why Little Kitchens, well if you must ask..





1. It’s fun
2. It’s fun
3. Don’t we all plan on our kids being zillionaire chefs who support us into the Twilight years?
4. I saw the Twilight movie before I read the books so it totally didn’t ruin it for me.
5. We have a neighbor”hood” crow, we named him Russell and he likes Saltines.





Do we have an understanding, or have I lost ya? If you know me you know that you get all sorts of random good information.

More information on this soup, this stuff is good – like real good.





Where should you eat this soup? I can give you a few ideas.

1. Eat it for Breakfast, Lunch, Linner, and Dinner – or while watching True Blood if you need a snack.
2. Eat it for every day that ends in day
3. Eat it because Pink soup is all sorts of cool
4. Eat it because it’s intriguing, just like you..no I am not trying to butter you up.





Speaking of butter, Indigo is the butter to my bread and I just love her to pieces. She stole a few Strawberries though and I found them all over her shirt. This was after I walked up to her room at nap time and found her bottom less and covered in sunscreen.

I mean it’s only logical to find some sunscreen and then feel the need to disrobe from the waist down and smear it all over yourself, oh wait maybe that just me.

So as you can tell I need to entertain my kid and of course come up with some bloggy goodness. So pull on up your kids and lets make some Strawberry Soup.





INGREDIENTS for the Strawberry Soup:
Delightfully borrowed from Joy Of Baking

1 pound (454 grams) fresh strawberries
1/4 cup (60 ml) light corn syrup
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar, or to taste
1/4 - 1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 - 1 cup (120 - 240 ml) milk or cream, or to taste
1 - 2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice, or to taste (optional)





GARNISHES for the Strawberry Soup:

Crushed Graham Crackers
Mint leaves
Extra berries of any kind
Dollop of whipped cream & shaved chocolate





LITTLE KITCHENS Print ART
Strawberry Print Outs
Find parts to the Strawberry Plant





DIRECTIONS

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Let your little one line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Now it’s time to plop their little butts right up on the counter. You have my permission! Now let’s get to it. Place all of your Strawberries into a pasta strainer and run them under cold water.





Have your child wash each and every one under the water, great time for counting lessons here. My daughter also devoured a few.





Wash and cut the strawberries in half, my little one watched this step…she’s to crazy for cutlery.





Next on our list is the corn syrup. Carefully measure out ¼ cup. Place your Strawberries in a medium sized bowl.





Now pour in the corn syrup little ones.





And now it’s time to stir, stir, stir





Have your little one place the strawberries on a baking sheet (we used a spatula) and bake in preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until the color of the strawberries intensifies and the syrup is thick, about 45 - 60 minutes.





Here is where we get to do some art…have your little one color this luscious strawberry and the full Strawberry plant. Be sure to google the plant and name all the different parts. By the time you are done, we can complete our Strawberry soup.

Remove from oven, let cool slightly, have your little one place the Strawberries in your food processor (keep a close eye on them of course!)





Process until the strawberries are pureed. Pour your berries into a medium sized bowl and add the sugar, yogurt, milk, and lime or lemon juice and have your little one stir until combined.





Now place back in your blender and process one more time. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
Ladle the strawberry soup into dessert bowls and garnish with crushed grahams.

Makes 4 servings.

- Do let me know if you try Little Kitchens at home!


44 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks fun and so pretty.

tinyskillet said...

Aww what fun! She is just too cute! I certainly qualify for a tiny kitchen, but my little one is now 16...yikes! I still have to nag her to get involved in the kitchen, I think it's because two can't fit! :D The soup looks great! YUM!

Kristen said...

way to go indy! so, since we have the same/similar cameras, can you tell me how you edit your photos to the sizes they are! The one thing I notice is all my images are now smaller than my old point and shoot images!

NEL, the batter baker said...

very pretty soup!

Unknown said...

If that little Indigo isnt the cutest thing, I dont know what is! This soup sounds delish!

Anonymous said...

I would definitely throw some chocolate on top!

The Church Cook said...

I can eat your little girl up! She is so adorable! And your summer soup looks wonderful too!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So refreshing and divine tasting! A lovely soup.

Cheers,

Rosa

Chris said...

Okay, she is too adorable. Prepping her for celebrity chef status, I see :)

scrambledhenfruit said...

This would be fun to make with my grandson, even though it's pink. ;)

Anonymous said...

Adorable! The strawberry flavor sounds sweet and summery and I love that it's pink!

Desi said...

Um your daughter is THE cutest thing! Oh yeah, and that soup looks pretty cute too :) Ya know, being all pink and all! Love it!

Anonymous said...

you certainly look as if you have a future chef on your hands! Lovely soup - I made some fruit soup the other day and it was a hit - a slightly different recipe but same color!
Mary

Kathleen said...

Oh man your little girl is totally adorable!

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

How funny. Naughty Indy with the sunscreen. They do make you laugh. Oliver has had a naughty incident too this week. I just couldnt be mad with him however much I tried. Not really.

That's another story. We'll put it in our little kitchen soon with photos

Katie said...

Wow! I'm definitely bookmarking this. Immediately.

Pam said...

Adorable! Little Indy just melts my heart. My kids would absolutely love this soup!

Sara said...

This looks so delicious! A perfect use for summer strawberries...yum!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Wow, smoothielicious. This seems perfect for the summertime and I love to get my daughter involved in the kitchen even though it can get a bit upside down..
Thanks for sharing.

Angie A said...

I have a very similar recipe over on my blog but I LOVE the addition on the graham crackers! Delish!

Mari Nuñez said...

Beautiful model/cook, God bless :) The soup looks delectable. The graham crackers nicely compliment the soup. Thanks for sharing.

erica said...

Seriously!?!? Something like this can be real?! oh my word I would LOVE this soup. I definitely know what I am making this weekend.

xo

Unknown said...

Oh, yea... she's adorable!! And the soup... what a great color!! It's gorgeous!

Cathy said...

Kids of any age would love this beautiful summer soup. Our berries are at their peak right now and I can almost taste this. Love those little painted nails.

Mary Bergfeld said...

That is such a pretty soup. Your daughter is very sweet. I know she loved this. I hope you both have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Clements Family said...

How fun is that! That soup sounds amazing. My kids would love this one!

Tessa said...

Ha. The sunscreen story is cute! I don't know that I've ever heard of strawberry soup, but this sounds great!

Heather Baird said...

I love this! I just found a blackberry soup I want to try. Your strawberry soup looks soooo good!

I have that "party in my tummy" song stuck in my head now. :)

Val said...

She is ADORBS and this recipe is genius!!

aipi said...

Kids love strawberries as is obvious by Indigo's precious smile! Nice way to get more of what they like already in them :)
I will bookmark the recipe :)
US Masala

Unknown said...

So cute!!! Love the soup idea....unique use of strawberries. :)

Anonymous said...

SO SO SO cuteeee! Never heard of strawberry soup but this looks delicious, pretty and seasonal:)
www.sunshineandsmile.com

Taste and Tell said...

She is seriously too cute!! And this soup is beyond gorgeous!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Every little girl should have a pink soup recipe. :) sounds strawberry-licious!

Angie's Recipes said...

Indigo is such a sweet little gal! The soup looks marvelous!

Sue said...

Thanks for the fun and tasty recipe! Your little Indigo gets cuter by the minute:)

Unknown said...

I love any kind of pink soup, so very sweet;-)

Lorraine said...

What a fantastic idea, cooking with kids is great! She is so cute. The soup looks wonderful, pretty and it must be really good:)

Monet said...

OH this is just precious! She is too cute for words. And this soup idea is brilliant! Thank you for sharing with me today. Visiting your blog is an inspiring way to start my weekend. I hope you have a blessed time with family and friends.

Unknown said...

The pink soup is so eye-catching and so is Indigo's nail polish color. She's cute beyond words and soon she'll be cooking a storm in your kitchen!

BakingWithoutaBox said...

Indigo! She's soooo cute.
And pink soup - who wouldn't want that. I'd want raspberries on top to match ;) Always got to be different.
Hope Russell gets some saltines this weekend.

The Harried Cook said...

What a cute post! Your little Indigo is absolutely adorable & quite the budding chef! And that soup!!! My toddler would go nuts for this... Yum! Thanks for sharing :)

Pam said...

Indigo is definitely a chef in the making! She's a doll and the soup sounds delicious!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Soups so refreshing like your strawberry soup are so perfect for these hot days of summer! Mmmm!