Sunday, January 1, 2012

Creamy Crabby Macaroni & Cheese




Wife -        "What year is it going to be honey?"
Husband - "What year do you think it's going to be dear?"
Wife -         "Ummm, ummmm 2013?"
Husband - "Are you kidding me?"
Wife -         "2012????, It's not like I write checks anymore!"
Husband - "Do you know how old you are?"
Wife -         "I'll pretend like you didn't ask me that"

end conversation.





We are such a loving family - and we Welcome in the year 2012...right??? Confirmation please. All I really know is I am that much closer to get the pee inducing creature outta me for good...wait one sec....gotta go pee....





OK, back now. Last night the New Year was rung in with a movie and the couch...actually now that I think about it that is pretty much the way I currently celebrate any holiday. I did manage to make it till 1030pm, sort of my personal best record.





Beings that I have a living alarm clock that wakes me at the first shot of sunlight beaming from the east (aka 630am on the freaking dot every single omg time) I sort of feel it's OK that I'm in bed by 1030pm.

Also I ate 16lbs of pasta, taquitos, and corn dogs - sort of coma inducing...Let that be the first confession of 2012.






INGREDIENTS
Delightfully borrowed from Eatin on the Cheap
{Full Printable Recipe}

1/2-3/4 pound elbow macaroni (less mac the creamier)
4 T unsalted butter
1 c. Panko Bread Crumbs
2 3/4 c. Half & Half
2 T minced fresh parsley
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 T grated Parmesan cheese
1 t. salt
1/4 c. AP flour
1/4 t. cayenne
1/2 t. ground mustard
1/2 t. old bay
2 c. Fontina
1 c. Gruyere
2 (6 oz) cans crab meat, drained





DIRECTIONS

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for directed amount of minutes. Drain, set aside covered.

Place Panko crumbs in a small bowl. Melt 1 T of butter and toss with breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Pan fry the panko crumbs in a small pan over a medium heat until toasty. Next add in the parsley, garlic powder, Parmesan. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the half & half until the mixture is smooth. Continue to cook and stir until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Remove from the heat and stir in cayenne, old bay, mustard, and  salt. Stir in cheese until it has all melted.  Give it a little taste test to see if you want more seasonings.

In a large bowl, stir pasta, cheese sauce and crab meat together well. Place your macaroni in serving bowls and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Enjoy!

* This recipe from the original inventor called for baking the dish, but I prefer a creamy macaroni and cheese - so if you make it my way be sure to serve it asap *


24 comments:

Val said...

You crack me up.....I know when ever I come over to visit you...I'm sure to smile. Love that!! What a great recipe to start off the new year! Happy New Year!!!!!

Clements Family said...

Great recipe! I love the addition of the crab!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Happy New Year! Wishing you all the best for 2012!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Happy New Year!

You made me smile... That is indeed the kind of coma-inducing dish I love!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Macaroni is one of my favorite comfort foods :) This looks like a delicious way to start the new year!

Chris said...

Tell that kid to quit standing on your bladder! Oh wait, that's right, kids never listen anyhoo.

That mac n cheese looks like the way to ring in the new year!

Leslie said...

16 pounds of pasta? Not bad!!! :)
Happy New Year

Katerina said...

This looks like the perfect idea after all this festive food of this period. Beautiful comfort food! Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Sue said...

Sounds like some sohisticated mac n' cheese, especially with the crab...love the name:) Yum. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Okay, now my dinner sounds really boring and all I want is THIS.
I have a lululemon giveaway just up. I lived in Lulu pants while I was preggers :) Come visit!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

The thing about pregnancy... is you totally can get away with eating 16lbs of pasta!! LOVE IT!

rebecca said...

winter comfort food at it's best. but you made it classy with the crabs.

Sara Louise said...

I'm totally going to make this mostly because 1. it doesn't call for cheddar and cheddar is ridiculously hard to find in France and 2. I have a tin of crab that I've been staring at wondering what to do with. Perfect!
Happy new years! :-)

Kris Ngoei said...

Happy New Year! Best wishes for you and your family!

Kristen said...

sounds like a relaxing time was had! hard to believe its 2012! i've so loved hearing about your journey with another little one on the way, can't wait to meet him or her! (totally forget if you know...)

Unknown said...

OH YUM!!!! Cheesy, crabby mac and cheese!!! Yes, please, may I have another....

erica said...

Happy New Year!!! I am definitely giving this recipe a try. The last time I made mac and cheese I somehow managed to curdle it...gross. Maybe I will have better luck with your recipe. xo

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

This post was so damn funny, that I read it to my husband! 16 pounds of coma inducing food! That's a great saying to remember . . . that was my Christmas! New Year's was football and a couch! A movie, like your evening, would have been much better! Love this mac and cheese. I'll try it with imitation crab cuz of my allergy to crab. Happy 2012! Keep up this super blog!!!!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Well I was out until 3 and believe me - I wish dearly I had been in bed by 10:30! First day of the New Year was spent drinking bloody Marys to get over the hangover, falling asleep, then waking up with a new one. Good luck with the pee management and Happy New Year! What a great dish to kick it off with too!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Too funny! I was in bed by 10:05...Miss Excitement here! LOVE your crabby mac and cheese...oh, how I wish the picky family could embrace seafood!!!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

That's ok, a couple weeks ago I DID write a check and I put 2005 on it. ...I have no idea where that came from.

teresa said...

shoot, sounds like a good new year to me! this dish is definitely omg! it looks incredible, i LOVE crab, in any dish!

Lori said...

Happy New Year!

Wonderful yumminess here. Coincidentally I am about to post a crab kinda dish. Love it.

Monet said...

What a great way to end or begin a year! This looks so scrumptious! I would have probably engulfed the whole pot! Thank you for sharing, sweet woman!