Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chestnut Cookies





“Chestnuts roasting on an open fire….jack frost nipping at your nose.”


No there is none of that here. I will confess to you our AC was running over the weekend. Please don’t throw rocks.


I have always lived in warm climate, actually I used to live in curl your hair sweating in 5 seconds want to die and love bug infested rain everyday buckets at 4pm on your drive home want to kill yourself weather aka Florida. I will never move back there.


Moving on and over to the West Coast was good for me, and my hair…not for the wallet however….speaking of wallets, do not keep these cookies in your wallet.


Yes that was my segway for the cookies thank you ma'am.


Delightfully borrowed from the Smitten Kitchen MEOW






INGREDIENTS

1 pound chestnuts, pre-cooked is great…and what I used
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon + additional for coating
A few gratings of fresh nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour







DIRECTIONS


Chop those chestnuts as fine as you can (or use a food processor of which I am not the fortunate owner of).







Next use an electric mixer (or your hand like me…again) to whip the butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Add the vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, flour and chestnuts and beat until well blended. Divide dough in half and refrigerate for at least one hour.







Once chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and a few pinches of cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside. Working with one half of the chilled dough at a time, roll it into 2 teaspoon-sized balls in the palm of your hand. Place on baking sheet, and cook in oven for 14-17 minutes.


Cool cookies 5 minutes on baking sheet. Gently coat warm cookies in cinnamon sugar to cover completely. Transfer to a rack for cooling. Rinse & Repeat. Before serving dust with a wee bit more powdered sugar.







Now set them in front of your window to taunt the birds…bwahahahaha….especially I would like to taunt the giant killer crows because they are big old mofo’s and are way to yappity on Sunday mornings. Shut your feathered egg hole bird!




Also this cat approves of bird taunting.





PS..I have a parakeet so please don’t think I am a bird hater.

25 comments:

Val said...

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..........Can you send these Fed-Ex? Pretty please??????? = )

Unknown said...

mmm. My mom loves chestnuts and I think I need to make these for her. Trader Joes saves the day again b/c I would not deal with cooking chestnuts even for my lovely mother.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Oh, Jen. These cookies look wonderful and so delicious. My grandmother used to make them all the time. Thanks so much for sharing! Happy holidays to you and your little chestnut!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

These look wonderful for the holiday season...and I'm a bit envious of your warm weather!

Unknown said...

No, I'm not gonna throw rocks at you :) I am actually enjoying my cold weather here.
Those cookies look wonderful. I like chestnuts anything... yum. :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wonderful! They look a lot like Mexican wedding cookies... What a wonderful flavor they must have.

Cheers,

Rosa

Lorraine said...

Wow! Chestnut cookies, really different. I bet they are delicious. I love chestnuts, roast them every Christmas. I will have to put these on my holiday cookie list.

Funny about Florida and hair. In all of my pictures with my family at Disney, I look like I have a really, really bad perm...lol

Unknown said...

Raina - that is totally it! Nobody even know my hair has curls unless I am in FLorida!

WendyinKK said...

I have a few packs of cooked chestnuts, and this recipe came at the right time :)

Bo said...

Wish we were having yalls weather....the cookies look great!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Awesome dear..Can I come to your home right now..
Tasty appetite

Unknown said...

The cookies look perfect Jen!! Now I would never throw rocks at you...we were pretty warm here too. Not AC weather, but dang close. Sunday it was 79 degrees... I feel for the people in the snow...winter just started!!! brrrrrrrr

Rosy said...

Those look delicious! Such great photos too.

Beth said...

I'm trying not to envy your weather. Your cookies look fabulous!

teresa said...

you crack me up! that kind of warmth does sound wonderful right now, the air out here is so cold it feels like it's biting you!

i don't even know what a chestnut tastes like, i should really try these.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love chestnut cookies! How nice that you still have SUMMER there.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, they look good and you're a nut!

Btw, what are chestnuts?
~ingrid

Flourchild said...

I want one of these right now!! Your such a good baker!! Im going to make these!

Roxan said...

Hi Jennifer, I'm new here but am loving your blog! Now set them in front of your window to taunt the birds - hilarious! It was pretty warm for me this weekend too... I finally got to wear some of my summer clothes that I didn't get to wear at all over the summer. It's cooled down for us here in LA though and has been overcast all day.

These cookies look great... as in melt-in-your-mouth great. I've been eating cookies all day but I'm pretty sure I could scarf down a few of these.

Alessandra said...

I think that they are fantastic cookies, and I love chestnuts!

ciao
Alessandra

Monet said...

I am adjusting to a warmer climate here in Austin. I do miss my Colorado snow on some days (but they are few, I assure you!) I have been reading about chestnut trees so these cookies are especially appealing. I hope you have a wonderful end to your week. Thank you for brightening my day!

Sue said...

I could never live in Hawaii(paradise) due to the same hair problem! :) These cookies look great! I have a similar family recipe, but I've never used chestnuts...how great for Christmas:) LOVE your cookie pops too!

Unknown said...

I love these cookies!!
And I am not a fan of birds. Don't hate me :)

Brownieville Girl said...

Oh for a bit of warm weather - we ran out of oil yesterday and don't know if the delivery lorry will make it here (still slushy and slippy) .... yiekkkkksss!!

Those cookies sound wonderful.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Freezing here so I could use a little warmth! These cookies are lovely! Love the inside shot!