Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ice Cubes and Blue Cake






I just have to get this off my chest.

I like water. I like cold water. I like cold water filled with ice most of all. See you just learned something about me, but that’s not the whole post.

My work provides water. My work provides sorta kinda almost cool filtered water. My work does not provide an ice machine or maker to chill that sorta kinda almost cool filtered water







OK were almost to the point.

We have 3 ice cube trays in our work freezer. We have 3 ice cube trays in our work freezer that I fill constantly so we can all enjoy ice. We have 3 ice cube trays in our work freezer that I fill constantly so we can all enjoy ice…and hopefully I can get in on that ice joy too.







OK, here the actual point and rant.

Where’s my ice dude? I strolled in to the break room and opened the freezer, what do I find??? How about all 3 ice cube trays void of ice? How about the ice holder, void of ice? How about the ice cube trays void of ice ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD water to start making more ice?

Is it that hard? I’m not asking you to change out the toilet paper roll people nor am I asking you to refill the printer when you know it's out of paper...or un-jam it.... I’m asking all the users to participate in the normal office function of ice making, you know the important stuff.





I also left a very nice, slightly passive aggressive note on the refrigerator after I refilled the cube trays…it was tossed in the trash fairly soon…and guess what???? When I went to get more ice, all the trays were empty again.

That’s just rude.

Because my co-workers are making me blue, I want to feature a blue cake. Nothing special here except the addition of some food coloring for kick. I tried to make it look like waves, sort of like the ones I plan on making with my co-workers.

It’s super easy, just like filling the ice cube trays.

Rant over.







INGREDIENTS

Cake
Butter cream Frosting
Blue food dye

DIRECTIONS

Make cake. Make butter cream and add dye little by little so that you can have a wide variety of blue colored buttercream on your cake, spread on some light blue, spread on some dark blue etc... Eat. I would say chase it with some ice water but there is not a chance of there being any ice. Enjoy it with some luke warm water.





27 comments:

Val said...

How dare they not fill the Ice Tray!!!!! =) This cake is GORGEOUS. Hoping your day is filled with Ice Cold Water.

From the Kitchen said...

I'm southern born and bred. We like a little water with our ice! A co-worker would never dare leave even a half-empty ice tray much less a freezer devoid of ice.

I'd like to have a piece of that cake with, you guessed it--a glass of ice water.

Best,
Bonnie

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

This cake is stunning! Perfectly iced and so tempting.

Not refilling the ice tray is like not replacing the toilet roll! ;-P

Cheers,

Rosa

tinyskillet said...

That would drive me nuts!!! :( Nice blue cake should really cheer you up! I am lucky to work in the school clinic where we have a refigerator with an ice maker...that ice works magic on the kiddos boo boos! :)

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Sometimes it is the little things that can ruin your day. Here's hoping for ice-filled work days in the future!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Ugh. That actually sounds like something my husband would do! The cake is beautiful. You could really do any color but the blue is so pretty and clean looking.

Kristen said...

well this cake is gorgeous but man you have some sucky co -workers. yep, i just called them sucky.

Just Cake Girl said...

I love the cake!

Elizabeth said...

This looks SO delicious!

mr. pineapple man said...

That is a beautiful cake! Icing is perfect

scrambledhenfruit said...

What a gorgeous cake! And as to your water problem, I understand perfectly. Our refrigerator at work is exactly the same way. My mom (who I've only heard say about three naughty words ever) has a "special" word for people who put the ice cube trays back empty. :)

Heather Baird said...

I love blue cakes! So, so pretty.

Somebody's mama(s) didn't raise them right! That's just rude!!!

The Harried Cook said...

I HATE finding empty ice cube trays! How rude!

That cake is gorgeous... well done!

Marina said...

Do we work in the same office?! Did you put a signs on each tray too (that's what we did)? :)
Your cake is beautiful and unusual color!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Hilarious. Coworkers... If this had happened to me I'd have come home and opened some wine (well even if it hadn't happened to me actually.) How impressive you made an ice water cake! Okay Miss Betty Draper!

Pam said...

I love your blue cake and I fully understand your frustration. I'm an ice cube fanatic with my water and I too did the same at work with filling the ice cube trays all the time. On top of that, some workers snitched food out of the fridge that wasn't theirs. Good luck!

Alessandra said...

Cool as!!! I wonder if there is a natural blue colour dye for food though... do you know?

Ciao
Alessandra

Bake-A-Holic said...

A yummy slice of cake always helps turn a blue day around.

I agree with Rosa. Please refill the TP roll too!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

What a lovely cake, Jen! Love the blue hue. Thanks for sharing!

pam said...

I keep a little dorm fridge behind my desk. It keeps me sane.

Anonymous said...

You will be jealous - we have bottled water AND an ice machine!!

My work pet peeve? People leaving dishes in the sink - invariably I'll go in to wash out my coffee cup at the end of the day and the sink is full of dishes - and the dishwasher is RIGHT NEXT to the sink!

I will blame the men in my office!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

I go through the same thing at my work, but it's coffee. When you take the last of something, the least you could do is fill it or replace it!! ps.. This cake is stunning!Xo

teresa said...

i like ice too, how frustrating!

LOVE the cake though, you frosted it so pretty.

Chris said...

We stock our fridge with bottled water for my office staff. What drives me nuts is that people will take a cold one and not replace it (the cases of water are 2 feet away...). The same two of us always refill it. Grrrrr.

Angie's Recipes said...

The cake looks so elegant and pretty with sky blue icing!

Lorraine said...

People can be so inconsiderate. I think you should keep leaving notes, maybe say it in a funny way, maybe they will get the hint...probably not though..huh? My son does the same thing. I should leave him notes...lol

Your cake is super pretty:)

Monet said...

Smile. Your remind me of my mom. She loves ice too. And I love this blue cake. Such pretty pictures to end my day with. Hugs and love from ATX!