Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Stawberry Lemonade Marmalade



What can I say after tasting those Orange Marmalade cakes I was very inspired to try and make Strawberry Marmalade, Indy has a party at daycare and I was asked to bring fruit; I brought a huge box of strawberries and had tons of leftovers that were very likely going to make there last home the trash. I then had a light go off in my head and decided to try and make marmalade with them. The result was pretty darn good if I do say so myself. I personally do not own anything special as far as equipment goes for making marmalade so this stuff comes straight from the oven top; I will however include the last step for those of you who do own that equipment for canning. The ingredients are simple, no harm no foul if you just need a weekend project. I do have to say though, buy some great sourdough bread because you are going to eat a lot of marmalade and toast. I think I will also try to make Strawberry cakes from this marmalade over the weekend.



INGREDIENTS

1 Lemon
5 cups of Strawberries, diced
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 package of Pectin
6 cups of Sugar, yes I said 6cups

DIRECTIONS

Remove the pulp and white membrane from the Lemon and slice it thinly. With the skinned lemon reserve 1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice.



In a small saucepot combine the sliced Lemon peel, ¼ teaspoon of baking soda and enough water to cover the peel. Bring this mixture to a boil, reduce heat then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, drain water and reserve the peel.



Combine the strawberries, Lemon Juice, Lemon peel & pectin in a very large sauce pot. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil; don’t worry the juice will come! Once this mixture has come to a boil, toss in that little bit of sugar…yah the whole 6 cups.



Bring this mixture to a rolling boil, once there boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let stand until it had reached room temperature. I then placed it in my jars (old jam/marmalade jars I saved) and placed in my refrigerator.



MORE DIRECTIONS FOR THOSE WITH CANNING EQUIPMENT :

Ladle hot Marmalade into jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps & process for 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Take a bite out of crime!

3 comments:

Judy said...

*just* saw the link to your blog under your handle. LOVE IT!! I just went through all your posts. The pics are fantastic!!

-GC

Unknown said...

Thanks so much GC, all I can say is food plus the fact that I am quite the picture whore is a plus! ha

Jamie said...

This sounds fabulous, I love the lemon/strawberry combination!