Friday, May 7, 2010

Lemon Lime Mousse, and I Love You Mom!



Happy mothers day to all moms; and a very special mother’s day to my own. My mother has many great attributes; here are a few of them:

1. When I was a little kid she would always get me a bowl of chocolate ice cream, but the kicker is she would put it in the microwave for a few seconds so the sides were all melty. I LOVE it that way. I always enjoyed this while we watched those super bad Lifetime movies.

2. My mom has tons of style, we do not live near anymore but she always sends me better attire than I could pick out for myself.

3. My mom let’s me talk endlessly about Indigo, I am sure my friends are thankful for her ears.

And now on to the show, Lemon Lime Mousse. Please take note, this is a 2 step process and there is some refrigeration involved. I suggest making this a day ahead – or at least making the curd one day ahead.



INGREDIENTS

6 tbs of unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups of sugar
2 whole large eggs & 2 egg yolks
½ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tbs fresh lime juice, but heck I used the pre-squeezed
1 tbs lemon zest
1 ½ cups of heavy cream

DIRECTIONS

LEMON CURD

In a medium saucepan, whisk together butter, 1 cup sugar, eggs, yolks, and lemon and lime juices (mixture may appear curdled). Place over low heat; cook, stirring, until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, 4 to 8 minutes; BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO BOIL!



Remove pan from heat; stir in lemon zest. Transfer mixture to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 1 hour.

MAKING IT MOUSSE

In a mixing bowl, beat cream and remaining 1/3 cup sugar to soft peaks. Whisk lemon curd to loosen, then gently fold in whipped cream.



“This is they way we stir the mousse, stir the mousse, stir the mousse”



“This is the way we stir the mousse, so early in the morning.”



Spoon into your serving bowls or glasses – Cover and chill at least 2 hours. This mousse can last for at least one week. Also consider freezing it for a creamy frozen treat.

4 comments:

Junko said...

Yum - I'm a huge fan of both lemons and limes so this will be on my "make" list. I might have to try it for Mother's Day!

Unknown said...

it's pretty easy, the only thing is having to let it cool and refrigerate - very refreshing too as a hot day treat.

Monica H said...

Ooh pretty! This looks so creamy and refreshing.

Monica H said...

Ooh and happy belated mother's day to you too!