Monday, August 2, 2010

Raspberry Muffins




Can I get and amen on muffins being delightful? AMEN



Muffins are my refrigerators outlet for fruit that is about to leave this earth. Feel free to use any old berry in this recipe, AND AMEN TO ALL BERRIES.






INGREDIENTS


2/3 cup sugar
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 cup fresh diced raspberries
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tbs of raspberry preserves, seedless


DIRECTIONS


Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350. Spray your muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or line the cups with paper liners.





In a large bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of lemon. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.







In a medium sized bowl, whisk the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, raspberry jam, and melted butter together until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently combine - at the last minute add in the fresh raspberries. Do not over mix the batter.



Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, remove cool slightly then serve with jam and butter -



18 comments:

scrambledhenfruit said...

AMEN! (To both muffins AND berries!) I always buy too many berries and usually there are some languishing in my refrigerator that need to be used. These look great!

Bo said...

I always buy too much fruit...I have bananas right now that are only good for muffins...Muffins do give fruit a second life...I love raspberries...These look great.

Julie said...

You and I are on the same raspberry wavelenght today. I'll trade you a piece of pie for a muffin!

Monet said...

Berries do wonderful things to muffins, and I love being able to use the few stragglers that don't get devoured the moment that they enter my house. I would love one of these tomorrow morning with my cup of coffee.

Larissa said...

Mmm, I love muffins. I have never thought of just adding a little jam right to the batter, great idea!

Unknown said...

AMEN and AMEN AGAIN!!! I love raspberries, they even give strawberries a run for their money!
The muffins look fantastic..they'd go great with my coffee right now!

Shannon said...

Amennnnn. I love any kinda muffin I can get my hands on. And speaking of raspberries, I want to make the gratin you posted the other day but I don't know what kind of dish you use. Is it like a creme brulee crock or a teeny bowl? Halp!

Oh and I'm pimping your avocadoes today :)

Lorraine said...

I love muffins, especially fruit filled. I have never thought to put raspberries in them, though. Great idea! Yours look delish!

Unknown said...

Shannon - it is just a small ramakin, normally used for a creme brulee!

Sue said...

You don't have to convince me! I think muffins (especially berry) are very delightful! Yours look delicious!

Jenn Shagrin said...

Haha thank you. Wow, those muffins look delicious! I love the photographs.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, muffins... I love, love, love muffins! Sound so good!

Katrina said...

Lovely muffins. Love all berries and their use in many different vehicles of goodness. ;)

Cristina {Teenie Cakes} said...

I never tire of muffins and they have become my comfort food. This looks like a great recipe and I like that there's sour cream and use of preserves as well as fresh berries. ~Cristina

Reeni said...

Amen to these muffins! Muffins are one of my favorite things in the world. How very scrumptious!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Ha-ha! Fruit about to leave this Earth!

My mom would love these! She's a fiend for all things raspberry filled or flavored!
~ingrid

Mary said...

Yum--these look delicious! I love raspberries but mostly eat them all before I ca bake anything!

Sara said...

Mmmm, these look fantastic! I LOVE berry muffins, and this version looks particularly delightful! :)