Sunday, June 19, 2011

Chianti Pot Roast - Pressure Cooker Meal





I’m back, and I have lived to tell the stories.
I missed 2 flights.
I had about 3 breakdowns.
I ate about 12 fast food meals.
I watched about 20 episodes of Bridezillas.
I saw 3 in the flesh deer and 1 fawn and a toad.







I had way too much fun and have 548 pictures to prove it.
I learned that pressure cookers are AWESOME.
I learned that mole rats are freaky.
I learned that my daughter can talk for 7 hours straight without breaking a sweat.
I learned that Alvin and the Chipmunks are a lifesaver when you have no more life left in you. Thanks Alvin.







Notes from Travel :

One hour lay overs are just not enough.
By the time the food cart gets to you…what you want…yeah it’s gone
You really don’t want the seats near the restroom
If your baby isn’t crying, someone else’s is..however this makes you feel oddly satisfied.
And..if your mom has a new pressure cooker – be sure to break it in







INGREDIENTS
Delightfully borrowed from a cookbook that lives in Ohio.
{Printable Recipe}

4 tbs Olive Oil
2-3 lbs Beef Chuck Roast, cubed
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
Black pepper, just a pinch
1 ½ cups Chianti, split into two ¾ cup portions
1 ½ tsp beef base, mixed with 1 ½ cups water
3 oz tomato paste
2 tsp sugar
2 tbs minced garlic
1 ½ tsp Italian Seasoning
8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
4 med tomatoes, cut into large chunks
2 tbs corn starch







DIRECTIONS

Add the oil to the Pressure Cooker and heat on high heat or “brown” with the lid off.


Sprinkle all of your cubed beef with the salt, garlic powder, black pepper. Add into the pressure cooker and sear on all sides.







Pour in ¾ cups of the Chianti. Add the beef base, tomato paste, sugar, garlic, and Italian Seasoning into the pressure cooker. Secure the lid and set on high for 40 minutes.


Perform a steam release on the cooker, and remove lid. Remove the meat and cover with aluminum foil. Add mushrooms and tomatoes into the cooker, if low on juice add the leftover ¾ cup Chianti. To thicken the sauce, stir in the 2bs of corn starch.


After 6-8 minutes, pour the mushroom and tomato mixture over your beef. I served mine over Gnocchi. It was delish.



24 comments:

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

This sounds delicious!! Welcome back!

Unknown said...

Yum! But I must admit, I am afraid of pressure cookers!! They scare me ;) lol

mr. pineapple man said...

oh yum!!!!!!! and i love your photos~ so nice and crisp!

Unknown said...

Oh I'm so happy to see a post from Indigo's Sugar Spectrum. I was missing you! And I must say... I love Chianti. Duh, it's wine, of course I love it! xo

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, how delicious looking! I love stews.

Cheers,

Rosa

Just Cake Girl said...

wow, that looks good!

Unknown said...

Welcome back!!
Love this idea... than again, any recipe using chianti is a good one in my book!!

Kristen said...

sounds like one hell of a vacation! can't wait to see pictures. in the meantime i am totally drooling over this pot roast at 9:22 am.

Siggy said...

TOTALLY trying it! I love my pressure cooker! Good to have you back ;)

Sara Louise said...

Sweet heaven above, that looks divine!
And one hour layovers are NEVER enough time!

Pam said...

Glad you're back and you definitely had a learning experience while you were gone! I kind of chuckled with you seeing the deer. They visit our yard frequently; lay in my flower beds and eat the birdseed out of the feeders. Cute, but a pain... Pot roast is great and this dish sounds soooo good!

Clements Family said...

Glad you are back. I have never used a pressure cooker....this looks awesome.

teresa said...

it sounds like you had an adventure, but a good one at that. delicious pot roast!

Tracy said...

Sounds delicious! I don't have a pressure cooker but I'd love to make this in my dutch oven!

Bake-A-Holic said...

I've been doing a bit of traveling lately and it never seems to go smoothly. On my last flight, I finally was able to travel alone without the kiddos (sigh, relax, get out a book).... but I had the worst little boy sitting behind me...constantly kicking my seat, screaming, sobbing and reaching around to pull my shirt., all while his parents both yelled at him and their crying baby. Fun times.

Anyhoo, I am in dire need of this pot roast and a large glass of wine. And maybe some nice cheeses too!

Love the new look of the blog!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This pot roast looks simply fabulous!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love prsessure cooker recipes! The roast looks so tasty!

Val said...

Can you believe I have never used a pressure cooker?? Have I been living under a rock? I must get one. Your pictures are amazing and this roast looks incredible. I'm happy your back. Pour a glass of Chianti for me, please.

Anonymous said...

My mom's pressure cooker always terrified me as a kid.... But I've heard they are so much better now and so great to whip up a delish dinner in a hurry. This sounds so good!

Mary said...

Glad you survived the vacation! I've never used a pressure cooker, probably because my mother was deathly afraid of them and I have never had one. Good idea though, as I see lots of recipes using one. Looks tasty!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Okay, I may have just had a pretty awesome breakfast but you have got me DROOLING for meat now... This looks incredibly delicious, and so mouthwatering, Jen! Great comfort food recipe.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

glad you had a great trip.

I've got an electric pressure cooker and love it to bits. I especially love doing meat in it as it just falls apart. The pot roast looks scrummy.

Eliana said...

This is pressure cooking done right! Looks incredibly delicious.

Chris said...

I have never actually used a pressure cooker. Alexis has talked about getting one. The roast looks amazing, tender and juicy.