Saturday, June 25, 2011

Homemade Twix Bars




Holy crap ya’ll I just used 2lbs of butter while baking over the last 2 days. Just so you know it’s not an equal trade when it comes to poundage. My bootay is approximately 5lbs heavier, and my conscience can only handle so much more…so I am going to have to unload on you. Consider me the co-worker who brings all their goodies in on Monday to fatten you up.


Does anyone have any objections?





Well since you guys seem up for unloading let me get the rest of this week’s confessions off my chest.


I confess that I told Indigo that we were going to get a smoothie if she promised to leave the park like a good girl, she did…and then I drove her straight home. I did however supplement with a Popsicle so I’m not all bad.


I confess that I wiped something off the floor with a sponge..the same sponge we use to wash dishes off. There I said it. I’m gross.





I confess that sometimes I steal time from work, someone has to make sure the Internet is still working right?


I confess that I chew a pack of juicy fruit per day.


I confess that I bought 5 apples for snacks for this week’s lunches, and I have 5 left.


I confess that on Friday I had 2 donuts, and I didn’t go back for seconds – I grabbed 2 from the get go.





I confess that while driving I pretend like I don’t notice that someone is trying to get over into my lane because I really just don’t want to let them in. In all honesty they should have thought about getting over earlier and not at the last freaking moment!!! Not getting a car length ahead of me buddy!!


There now I feel better, the only thing left to do is work out for 2 weeks.





INGREDIENTS
Delight fully borrowed from The Sweet Details
{Printable Recipe}

Base:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter

Filling
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp Corn Syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup brown sugar

Topping
1-bag of semi-sweet choco chips





DIRECTIONS

 
In a large bowl, mix together all the base ingredients until crumbly. Press into a 9x9 dish that had been lined with aluminum foil. Be sure to lightly coat foil with cooking spray. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes, or until a nice golden brown.

Combine all filling ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil,.reduce heat and stir for 6 minutes . Pour over warm base. Let cool for at least one hour.

Melt chocolate in a double boiler and pour over filling, spread with a spatula and cool to room temperature and then place in your fridge for 4 hours before cutting.

I cut and wrapped them individually in wax paper. Keep these puppies in the fridge for storage. They keep well.


41 comments:

Unknown said...

HOLY MOLY! These look beyond amazing!

egbkid said...

Yum! I gotta get some corn syrup and try this recipe.

scrambledhenfruit said...

They say that confession is good for the soul. :) These bars would be good for my soul too, unfortunately not so good for my body but I'd eat them anyway because they look so so delicious! If I found these at work on a Monday morning I'd have no objections whatsoever! :)

Teri said...

Thanks for checking out my blog and commenting. I read your blog above with the twix bars, and you are very funny! Plus the recipe looks amazing. I send a lot of goodies to my son in college, and these look like they will travel well along with tasting delicious! I will continue to read your blog. Thanks for a great post!

chow and chatter said...

he he i say similar things to my toddler :-) great bars look like millionaires shortbread in the UK

Julie said...

I, for one, am thoroughly shocked by your confessions! But I'll completely forget them if you mail me some of these. Twix is one of my favorite candy bars!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Divine and 100x times better as well as healthier than the original!

Cheers,

Rosa

Loveandcalories said...

Very tempting!!

Donna Elick said...

Oh my gosh! So delicious!

Chris said...

You are a bad bad person for taunting us with these addictive little guys. For punishment, I must confiscate the rest of these from you ;)

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I love all of these confessions! I confess that I go back for third or fourth plates at buffet-style meals and don't feel the least bit bad about it!

Kristen said...

your confessions are a riot!! i can't believe you chew a pack of juicy fruit per day. the twix bars look yummy! oh and the quote in the first photo is a winner.

Brownieville Girl said...

I'd much prefer one of these beauties in my lunch box than an apple!!!!

I have a horrible feeling my confessions would be much worse than yours!!!!!!

Eliana said...

These homemade Twix look better than the store-bought kind to me. Love them.

MaryBeth said...

OMG..Yumm-o! These look darn good, i would eat at least 2 at a time just like the store bought ones.

Jihane @ Sinful Sundays said...

Haha! I loved your confessions---especially about the apples and grabbing 2 donuts from jump. Love it!

Love the Twix bars too. :)

Tessa said...

I totally do the car thing too. Especially if they are trying to cut in front of a long line of cars passing! These bars look totally worth the workout :)

Unknown said...

They look so yummy! I will surely try it sometime. Superb recipe!

aipi said...

So dense n so chocolaty ~ love to be able to sink me teeth into it :)
US Masala

Leesha said...

yes please.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

looks irresistably hearty..;P
Tasty Appetite

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

okay this is weird... the very words in my head to write as a comment were said by Sarah in your first comment :) Maybe I should go visit her since we think the same.

These look so very good! All that butter does make for delicious, taste pleasing treats!

Unknown said...

I love twix! I really shouldn't have read this!

Val said...

I love me some Twix and this is AWESOMENESS!

Unknown said...

What a brilliant idea! These look delicious. You always make the best treats! I now feel hungry and like I need to go to the gym all at once.

Anonymous said...

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Mary

erica said...

Well arent you just the little kitchen goddess. My dad loves twix so maybe i`ll try making these for him.

xo

Anonymous said...


oh.. so nice post.)
Love your blog.))

I now spend a survey of bloggers with such questions.
1. Why did you create a blog?
2. For whom you taking him? Want to be popular?
3. How long will it keep going?

Sue said...

These are worth working out for 2 weeks for! Thanks for the chuckles on a Monday:)

art is in the kitchen said...

Wonderful tasty bars! Sinfully rich that requires 2 weeks of work out to be forgiven. By the looks of the bars, It is all worth it I must confess. Cheers!

Lorraine said...

I confess you made me smile:) So do these yummy bars! My kids will go nuts for them, me too.

Nachiketa said...

Your reason for working out is the most delightful one ever... awesome looking bars... they would make me sin too....

Cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Purabi Naha said...

Wow, you take lovely pictures. This recipe looks very interesting and loved reading your post. You have a great collection of recipes. Do visit my curry blog at
http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I confess that Twix bars are my favorite chocolate bars and I could eat 3-4 in one go...shocking, but darn good! I could probably eat more if they're homemade like yours ;-).

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Those bars look amazing. It would take a lot of work out purgatory to burn off the amount of bars I would eat if I made them!

Unknown said...

I pretend to not see cars trying to get over too!!! LOL Whew, glad we got that off our chests :)
Love twix bars, am definitely bookmarking this recipe!

shaz said...

Feel free to unload those bars over here :) I don't even want to try and calculate the amount of sugar and butter I go through in a normal week (I give a lot of stuff away though). Like what you've done with the blog header.

Barbara said...

Geez, those are really deadly. Not that I'm not going to make them, but still....I DID work out this morning!
I hate to burst your confession balloon, but we all did/do those things.

Shannon said...

I've been wanting to make these babies for awhile now but the base recipe always scared me. But this one looks extremely easy. But the chips look so dark, I had to go back and check to make sure it wasn't dark choc. Weird. But delicious.

Olga said...

those look incredible. do you ever put them in the fridge? it might sound weird, but that's how I like mine: makes them crunchier.

Three-Cookies said...

This looks divine, a nice variation to millionaires shortbread. I have been planning to make something similar for ages, thanks for the reminder!