Tuesday, June 28, 2011

White Sheet Cake





Yesterday under extreme pressure due to a looming evening work event, I was able to complete a massive amount of work fast.  I was able to drive home 30 miles, feed my child a Popsicle for and dinner, work out, cook myself dinner, empty the dishwasher, then reload the dishwasher all in one hour and 45 minutes.







Who knew I could do it that fast, please don’t tell anyone. My husband could obviously read this but him reading this is like me being interested in his golf score - so I think I’m safe.


Speaking of being safe, liking this cake is surely a safe bet. I liked it so much I sampled about half of it in 2 days. I also made those twix bars on the same weekend so you can imagine that it was a fierce battle for my attention…I would call it tie in all honesty, the only loser = my pants.







On the subject of pants, I have noticed a few things.

1. Stacy and Clinton do not lie, get those puppies altered.
2. Jeans exist to make us crazy in dressing rooms, well jeans and bikini’s..OK maybe bikini’s are one step in front of jeans.
3. Bra’s also make me crazy in dressing rooms, glad I don't have to put them back on the hangar right because that's brain surgery for sure.
4. I hate limits in dressing rooms
5. Don’t eat this cake and then try on clothes in a dressing room







There now you know how I feel about pants…speaking of feelings have I told you about my demanding kitties lately? I feel like they are playing games with me.  Just this morning no matter which way I moved I had one just under my feet and was on the verge of tripping. How does this happen? It’s like when you’re walking down a hallway and start dancing back and forth with the person walking straight at you. Why is it as soon as your break left…they do too, then right, then left, then right?







The other cat kept demanding fresh sink water while I was brushing, seriously dude there is a water bowl downstairs…like right next to your stinky cat food. I will not, I repeat will not be the sink turner on person for you. Let me say that in a language you understand “meow , meowwww, umm meow”.


Now let me talk to your food lovers in a language you understand, on to the recipe!







INGREDIENTS
Delightfully borrowed with itty bitty changes from AllRecipes
{Printable Recipe}

• 1 cup butter
• 1 cup water
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 cups white sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 tablespoon of Vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1/4 cup milk
• 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
• Sprinkles (NOT optional)







DIRECTIONS


In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup butter or margarine and water to a boil. Remove from heat, and stir in flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream, 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract, salt, and baking soda until smooth. Pour batter into a greased 10 x 15 x 1 inch baking pan.







Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 to 22 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and tests done. Cool for 20 minutes.


For the Icing

Combine 1/2 cup butter or margarine and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Mix in sugar and 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract. Spread frosting over warm cake. The icing will set up quickly, so spread fast. Dot with Sprinkles.







Need something fun for kidlets? I cut out little squares and placed them on straws and handed over a tall glass of milk with them. Kids can eat the small square of cake then sip their milk from the straw the cake was on. Easy peasy.
Peace Out.



42 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

sheet cakes are marvelous and this one is no exception!

Cheers,

Rosa

Annalise said...

Can't go wrong with sheet cake, delightful post!

Unknown said...

LOL I completely agree with everything you just wrote!! And, my stinkin' cat does the same thing when I am in the bathroom -- so annoying!!

I think I just found the dessert I will be making for our Fourth of July party!!

Anna said...

I love the quote in your first picture! And that cake looks scrumptious. Good luck with the kitties, they may or may not be attempting the "death of human by tripping" strategy...you'll know for sure if they try that move at the top of the stairs ;)

Eliana said...

Classic and delicious. Love how you decorated the cake too :)

Kelly said...

love, love, love your photos, especially the one with the two forks! gorgeous!

Donna Elick said...

These look fantastic and I totally agree on the jeans thing. They exist solely to make life challenging in the dressing room. And I am positive the dressing room attendant turns on the heat while I am in there. All of a sudden it gets really hot, and I am sure its not the stress of the situation. : )

sherri lynn said...

This cake is beautiful! And I agree - sprinkles are definitely not optional! They totally make this cake :)

Loveandcalories said...

The Baked Cake looks awesome....Am sure it would have tasted the same too :)

Kristen said...

Such a pretty cake, I love how you cut it into fun shapes. Popsicles for dinner at your house? Count me in!

Michele said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can't wait to explore yours. This cake looks yummy!

erica said...

This look absolutely divine! I just may have to make this over the weekend.

xo

Jihane @ Sinful Sundays said...

I've never had a sheet cake and am dying to make one. This looks so good! And, the picture with the two forks sticking up is genius. so cute~

Jane said...

Your photos are so beautiful! Well, your whole blog is always beautiful but, today, I especially love the photo of the vanilla bottle with the whisk in the bowl. You are a woman full of such energy and inspiration! I love Indigo's Sugar Spectrum. :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Your posts are so darn cute...they always make me giggle! Gorgeous photos...and yummy food! No wonder I love coming here. Such a beautiful sheet cake. I always end up making chocolate, but I just know my family would gobble this one up :)

Annie Oakley's Kitchen said...

What a pretty and simple white cake! I have visions of tea parties and dainty little cakes dancing in my head now. Thanks!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I'll have to take your shopping advice as I hit the outlets this weekend!

Shannon said...

They look like cake biscuits! Which is perfect because I love both equally. And you are correct madam, sprinkles (or jimmies as I call em) are NEVER optional. You are also right on about bras & their hangers. Wonder who designed that...dudes obviously.

Holly said...

I just made this cake-soooo super delish!! Thankfully I took it to a function and got rid of most of it before my jeans even noticed!!

Unknown said...

Holly, I only wish I had your will power...I had to have it in the house for 2 days...I didnt stand a chance!

Desi said...

Beautiful! Your photography and presentation are amazing. Love the pic with the forks. I WISH I could get as much done as you did! And you crack me up :)

Kim said...

Your posts are always so funny and witty. Love the looks of the cake, as well as the idea of cutting them into little squares and serving with milk.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow...another first class recipe ..looks fab..:P

Tasty Appetite

Claire said...

Yay sprinkles!

Mary said...

Your photos are fabulous! I am loving your blog.

Tessa said...

I am not a huge fan of chocolate cake, so a white sheet cake is perfect. Love the idea of small pieces on a straw!

Unknown said...

Yay you made it!! Isn't it sooooo good? It only lasted about a day and a half in our house! Your photos are amazing as always : )

aipi said...

That sheet cakes look terribly addictive and so scrumptious!
US Masala

Joyti said...

No, I don't think I'd eat that scrumptious cake and try on jeans afterward...it looks really good. And I like the shapes you cut it into, very cute.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I listen to everything Stacey and Clinton say! :)

I agree with you: jeans are bad, bikinis are worse, but --and don't hate me when I say this -- but bras are good now too! I swear. I discovered Intimacy last year, which has been featured on WNTW many times, and I kid you not, it's life changing. Go. Now. Hurry!

Anonymous said...

Very lovely post - love Stacey and Clinton - I need them! Dressing rooms are torture - bikinis - hahaha -
The Cake - Perfect!
Mary

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

That cake looks wonderful! I just love your pictures (as always) :) You are too funny with the dressing room comments!

Anonymous said...

Anything with that many sprinkles in a winner in my book :) This cake looks fantastic!

LV said...

You can never go wrong with a sheet cake. This looks really good and I love your photos!

Kim of Mo Betta said...

Fab photos! Makes me want cake...with sprinkles! and I don't want to step foot in a dressing room :P Thanks for stopping by!

Angie's Recipes said...

What a pretty confetti sheet cake!

Elina said...

Hehe, I HATE limits in dressing rooms. So lame. Do you not want me to try everything on easily? Seems like a silly business decision to me :)
Those sprinkles are so prettyyyyy.

Persnickety Hall said...

This looks so tasty! Also, your pictures are beautiful. :)

Heather S-G said...

What a fun idea! This cake looks simple and delicious...love it. ...and don't even get me started on dressing rooms (the devil's playground) grrrrr...

Monet said...

Smile. So very true. And this cake looks adorable! You did such a good job with these pictures. Thank you for sharing, sweet friend. I'm sorry I've been a bit absent. Your blog is a great way for me to end my dad. I hope you have a beautiful weekend!

Sue said...

Sounds yummy! The photos are fantastic! Happy 4th of July!

Kris Ngoei said...

You are a super mom, your husband should be pride if he ever reads this post :-)

I am very intrigue by the icing of this beautiful cake, might try it on cupcakes and see how they turn out... thanks for sharing!