Monday, February 15, 2010
Stuffed Peppers for Sunday please
What a happy weekend, all well & all happy.. I must say that I had forgotten how much of a pleasure my daughter is until this weekend, with all the sickness we have experienced I don’t think her little personality has been allowed to flourish and well it was at it’s peak this weekend. She was a happy bee buzzing around and well I just love her. We made a fantastic dinner as a family on Sunday and I can’t wait to enjoy it again tonight (YAH LEFTOVERS), I also ventured to BevMo for their 5 cent sale and loaded up on white wine.
Below is that wonderful dinner we made on Sunday, it does take a wee bit of work but it is definitely worth it. One of these buggers will fill you up and you’re sure to have some for lunch the next day. Enjoy!
6 green bell peppers
1 pound of ground sausage
1 large onion chopped
2 11oz cans of tomato soup
2 2/3 cup water
1tbs of chili powder
1 tbs garlic powder
Salt & pepper
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups uncooked instant rice
1. Slice tops off of your bell peppers, remove the seeds & membranes. If you prefer a soft bell pepper after baking you need to boil the peppers for 5-10 minutes. If you like a crunchy bell pepper, simply set the cleaned peppers to the side and skip the boiling. I personally did not boil my peppers as we prefer a crunch.
2. Fry your sausage and chopped onion in a large/deep skillet until browned. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the tomato soup, water, chili power, garlic powder, salt & pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add in ¾ of your sharp cheddar, simmer on low for 35 minutes.
3. While your mixture is simmering prepare 3 cups of your instant rice according to the package. Add this rice into your sausage mixture at the 35 minute mark and simmer for another 25 minutes or 1 hour total.
4. Place your bell peppers on a baking pan and spoon your sausage mixture evenly into each bell pepper. Bake these peppers at 350 for 30 minutes.
5. Remove bell peppers from the oven and top with remaining cheese, broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese in melted on top.