Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cheddar Wafers with a side of cheesy smile



A, She’s adorable
B, She’s so beautiful
C, She likes to eat these Cheddar Wafers! He he.

So I was introduced to this small snack via some other mothers on the net. It has been borrowed from http://weelicious.com/2008/10/21/cheese-wafers/

INGREDIENTS:
½ lb Sharp Cheddar Cheese (room temp)
5 TBS butter, softened
1 cup of flour, you also need some for light dusting when you roll it out and cut your shapes.


DIRECTIONS:

All right, let’s get this party started. First you want to combine all of your ingredients in a food processor. If you don’t have one I used my hand mixer for about 4-5 minutes then I used my fingers from there to join the dough. Worked like a charm. If you are feeling daring this is where you would add any dry spice you want to flavor your wafers. I made some flavored with and onion & garlic powder and one set of plain wafers. So after you have your dough together you want to fashion it into something like this. . .UFO Cheddar Discs. As you can see I used parchment paper to keep the dough from sticking to anything.



Now you need to cover your dough, and put it into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. I just put my two dough discs into a large zip log bag.

Now that you hour is up it is time for baking. Pre-heat your oven to 400 and get ready to make your wafers. You also need to line a baking pan with parchment paper. Now you roll your dough out to about ¼ inch thick for a perfect crunchy wafer, go thicker for less of a crunch. You might even try making different thicknesses for fun….I did. Use extra flour if your dough sticks to the pin.



Now if you have fancy but small cookie cutters you can cut your shapes. If you are like me and don’t own a single cutter you can actually use a medicine bottle to make circular wafers. I dusted the rim of the bottle every couple of wafer cuts. Place the cut wafers onto your lined baking pan.



Now you need to go give your kid a kiss, seriously these are not getting baked quick enough and your patiently waiting child needs some positive reinforcement…Alright now that the pan is covered and smothered and ready for baking you need to let these cook at 400 for about 12-14 minutes.

Tick tock tick tock….done! Yum, they smell great….



Can’t smell them…get closer…

No comments: