Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ann Brettingen’s Swedish Apple Cake



So I texted my husband early this morning to make sure he had made it to work since I didn't hear him get up or getting ready, his reply “On my way – little late – I took some of your apple cake”. I am very glad he made it to work ok, but now I am sitting up in bed slowly waking up wondering how much is left of this cake…tip toe downstairs and there are 2 pieces left, that man is lucky he leaves for work before I do! I think we might start dessert wars with who gets to bring the leftovers to work.



INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 large egg
1 yolk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled (you should have about ½ cup of melted butter)
1 golden delicious apple, or whatever you have on hand

DIRECTIONS

In a small bowl whisk together your flour, baking powder & salt.

In a medium bowl whisk together your whole egg, yolk, sugar & vanilla; melt your butter in a separate dish and once cooled whisk into this bowl.

Pour your dry ingredients into the wet and combine thoroughly. Once combined spoon batter into a small greased cake pan; lay your apple pieces on top in a pretty pattern.

Bake at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes, cake at the edges will be brown but as you move to the center will be more *gooey* but this is the way it should be. Once baked let your cake rest for 1 hour prior to cutting.

Next comes the part where you DO NOT tell your husband you made a cake…trust me!

2 comments:

Alejandra Ramos said...

this looks wonderful! My fiance is obsessed with apple treats so I know he would love this one.

Junko said...

I just recently made an apple tart and apple crumble. Next on my list is this!