Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blueberry & Goat Cheese Focaccia with Honey





Things that children do that we no longer partake of.


1. Right now I keep reminding Indigo to eat her hamburger, not just to dip and lick the tomato sauce off of it. How gross it that? I, Jennifer can be counted on to be much more civilized when it comes to hamburger consumption. Unless of course I am at one of those restaurants that make the burger 8.5 inches tall, come on man! I like a bite of each ingredient, don’t like to eat my burger in layers thank you very much.







2. Singing, have you ever been in a supermarket and heard a kid singing at the top of their lungs? Perhaps it was the ABC”S, Twinkle Twinkle, Itsy Bitsy Spider? Well that was not us. Mine was singing at the top of her lungs about the sweet subject of poop today.


You will never catch me singing about that subject, I have progressed you see. 33 years of living teaches you one thing, people will think you’re crazy if you sing about poop, and know how to drive already.


Word.







3. Right now there is about a 1 inch layer of ketchup around Indy’s mouth. Right now there is napkin on the table. You see, Indigo has no idea of this thick layer of muck on her face…she would actually never notice unless you point it out to her, the napkin is in no danger. See girlfriend just does not mind it, she is on her 4th apple juice of the day and well…she’s darn happy, layer of ketchup or not.


Now…that might be something I need to learn from her -







INGREDIENTS

*Please note the dough must rise overnight.
This Focaccia recipe is delightfully borrowed from Anna’s Table

Dough
(Printable Recipe)

3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons light virgin oil
2-3 Tablespoons honey


The Topping (add your desired quanitity)

Fresh Blueberries
Goat Cheese
Zest of one lemon
Honey







DIRECTIONS

In a mixing bowl add the flour, the yeast and the salt. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, blend the dry ingredients.


Pour in 1 1/2 cup of water, 3 tablespoons of light virgin oil, and mix. Pull together the dough using your hands or a wooden spoon. Scrape any excess flour from the bottom and sides of the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well incorporated and form into a ball. The dough will have a stringy texture. Cover and place in a warm draft free are to rise overnight, at least 12 hours and up to 24.







Transfer the dough to a greased and floured 12 " pizza tray. Dust the dough lightly with flour, and with your hands spread out to the edges of your pizza pan, forming a disk. Drizzle with oil & honey and season with salt.


Next add on the blueberries, goat cheese, and zest. Set aside and let dough rise again for 2 hours.







When ready. Bake your focaccia at 500 for 20 minutes. Since we are baking with honey, you might get a little smoke if it slides off the bread.

I served each slice with a tablespoon of honey and a smile.



50 comments:

Abby said...

Hi Jennifurla!
When you commented on my post with this recipe from Anna's Table and mentioned using the bluberries, I couldn't really picture it--But it looks fantastic! Yumm!!

beauty be told said...

omg! all I can say is YUMMMMMY!

Unknown said...

I love the idea of a sweet focaccia instead of a savoury one. I've very intrigued by the combination of blueberries and goat cheese in this, it sounds wonderful!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, that focaccia looks awesome! I love anything bready that is made with fruits.

Cheers,

Rosa

Sara said...

Wow, this looks SO tasty! Love the sweet-savory combo...delicious!

Unknown said...

That is one yummy looking focaccia!

Shandy said...

What an amazing combination of flavors and the colors, YUM!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Your blog posts always remind me of how we can learn a little more from little ones! LOVE this sweet and savory focaccia!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe and fabulous photos. Thanks for sharing.

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

Such a cute story! It kinda makes me wish I had younger siblings :) Great recipe too, love the photos :)

teresa said...

this made me smile and giggle because i have experienced all of those on a regular basis. i think i'm going to miss the singing.

i really need to try this, i love that goat cheese is being used in a sweet dish.

Unknown said...

I love blueberries and goat cheese together. Especially with a little honey.

I hear poop songs most days lately...

Delicious Dishings said...

I've never seen a sweet focaccia like this... it sounds so good!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing bread. It looks half like a pizza half like a tart. Blueberries and goat cheese must taste amazing together.


Nisrine

megan said...

what a cute post! I love the flavor pairing of this - I never would have thought to put blueberries and goat cheese together!

Kim K. said...

Oh my goodness, your quote is SO true!! I never knew how much patience I had till I had kids, well, add my husband in and I needed even more!
Love this focaccia, the goat cheese is quite a treat to top it off. Nicely done!
Thanks for your comment on our guest post on Dennis' blog!! Good to meet you as well!

chow and chatter said...

this looks wonderful he he my little one is poop obsessed as well

aipi said...

this looks SO PRETTY !
I have bookmarked the recipe :)

US Masala

Alessandra said...

The focaccia is great!

I think that children do what you let them do. We had clear do and don'ts
for ours, it is hard work, but even small children can understand what is right and what is not, in particular regard to eating.

Leaving them some fun, of course!

I stole your virtual kitten for my blog, too cute!!!

ciao
Alessandra

Unknown said...

The focaccia looks great. Blueberry and goat cheese sounds strangely delicious. Sweet, tangy and salty.. yum!

shaz said...

Mmm, blueberries good....Indy is adorable. Ah, kids find bodily functions SO attractive don't they?

Unknown said...

Chris gets all freaky when I walk through the grocery store singing my ABC's... maybe I'll go hang out with Indigo!! lol
I've never had focaccia this way.. I love the idea!! It sounds DELICIOUS!!! Looks beautiful too!

erica said...

I actually just took some blueberries out because I was going to make muffins. I am definitely making this now. Holy Yummo!

xo

Unknown said...

I read this last night and forgot to comment - I think I got too lost in these pictures! I love goat cheese mixed with just about anything but especially fruit! WONDERFUL!

Anonymous said...

This looks divine!

Clements Family said...

Loved this post. Kids teach us so much!
Great recipe!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

This is a truly glorious recipe! I want to eat every last bite right now!!!

...and you're right, last time a sang about poop in the grocery store no good came out of it. :)

Bite my cake said...

fabulous, delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love focaccia and this one looks really lovely. I actually had one with grapes and blue cheese, but my husband would prefer blueberries.

Val said...

I'm imagining eating this outside with a glass of Pinot!!!! Perfection.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Girl, you are fearless with combining savory and sweet - I LOVE this! Now you've got me thinking about all kinds of other fruits that would work on top of foccacia... What a delicious looking bread, and inspiring, too! :) Thanks for sharing.

Kristen said...

what an interesting and tasty looking bread.

Indy was having a happy day with her apple juice and ketchup face. so cute!

Just Cake Girl said...

Gosh, that looks good!!!! :)))

mr. pineapple man said...

looks delicious! i wanna try the risotto below...so bad!

Renée said...

Another winner, way to go!

Anna said...

That focacia looks divine, and I agree, we'd all be happier if we just re-learned a few things from kids. Messier, but definitely happier.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a spectacular combination of flavors! YUM! And LOL at Miss Indigo :)

Anonymous said...

Blueberries and goat cheese make such a delicious topping :) I love Miss Indigo's attitude on life and this snack!

Tracy said...

This looks so lovely! Blueberry and honey...yummm!

Emily said...

Yesyesyesyes! You're a genius! This looks amazing!

Tia said...

what a BEAUTIFUL take on foccacia! great job as usual Jenn!!! Buttercreambarbie

Unknown said...

Oh my God!
such a lovely pictures! I am watering!
have a nice day!
barbara

Rick said...

Interesting combination. Tangy and sweet. And blue. OH my.

Allison said...

This looks fantastic! Your photos are always so beautiful. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

The patience quote is oh so true. And it really doesn't matter if they are 2 or in my case 9, 13 and 17. One of them likes to test my patience at least once a day ;o)
The focaccia looks incredible. The blueberries with the goat cheese and honey sounds heavenly!

Shannon said...

Have I told you that my husband stalks your blog too? He goes to work everyday while I run after the rugrat and has the nerve to come home every day asking me if I saw this post or that post or the newest picture of Indy. I remind him that my blog-stalking time is at a minimum and that I catch up at night time. Anyway, just thought you should know. He told me to make this one. So I will.

ps Prosciutto strata was made this weekend! and ommmmgggg it was delicious.

Lori said...

Very delicious. I have had grape focaccia and I love it. I bet this is outstanding!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love the blueberries and cheese on this! (And don't ever be surprised at what kids come up with. :)

Allison said...

Wow! I would have never thought of this combination, but it sounds amazing! I'm new to your blog, and I love it!

Monica H said...

This looks so good! I'm loving the sweet and savory in this, and who doesn't love blueberries?