Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chocolate Cake, Zombies, See You In 2 Weeks...





You know, I just love Chocolate. Do you?


I will be taking the next 2 weeks off for a glorious vacation, I wanted to leave you with a chocolate dessert that can feed the masses properly.


So I ask again, do you love chocolate? I sure do…and as always there are other things I just LOVE.


I love my first cup of coffee in the morning, it screws my head on straight.


I love to drink coffee on a cold day, stay home and watch a movie.


I love Zombie Movies.







My house has so many windows that I would totally die if zombies attacked. . . .also, why in zombie movies do people not know that the zombies are zombies??? I mean is it not common knowledge that the walking dead are called ZOMBIES.


Oh wow, yeah…so off track now.


Let’s get back to the chocolate…zombies don’t eat chocolate, they eat people!


If I don’t have a cup of coffee in the morning I am a zombie! Ha, see how I brought this whole conversation full circle. Genius.


PS…I will see you in 2 weeks here, but still plan to visit you in my spare time...I am going to be a snow bunny in Jackson Wyoming.


Delightfully borrowed from Ree aka most stalked by me blogger on the web







INGREDIENTS
(Printable Recipe)

• FOR THE CAKE:
• 2 cups Flour
• 2 cups Sugar
• ¼ teaspoons Salt
• 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
• 2 sticks Butter
• 1 cup Boiling Water
• ½ cups Buttermilk
• 2 whole Beaten Eggs
• 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
• 1 teaspoon Vanilla
• _____
• FOR FROSTING:
• 1-¾ stick Butter
• 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
• 6 Tablespoons Milk
• 1 teaspoon Vanilla
• 1 pound (minus 1/2 Cup) Powdered Sugar







DIRECTIONS

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.


In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together.


Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.


In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.







While cake is baking, make the icing. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Pour over warm cake.


Now eat it like you mean it…get all zombie on it’s butt



52 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love chocolate (Hey, I'm Swiss! ;-P), coffee and horror films. That cake looks just sooo good!

Enjoy your holidays in Wyoming!

Cheers,

Rosa

Heather Baird said...

THAT looks awesome. I would totally die too b/c of windows if zombies attacked. Did you watch the Walking Dead series on AMC. I loved that - can't wait till it comes back on.

egbkid said...

That looks good...i live on the 2nd floor, so i hope i am safe from Zombies...can they climb stairs? :-)
Have a safe and fun vacation!!

Val said...

Cake looks amazing. Zombies scare me and I hope you have a great vacation!!!

Kim said...

I've made this chocolate cake before and loved it. Yours looks great!

Enjoy your trip! Safe travels.

Unknown said...

Oooh! Looks delicious! Have a great vacation!

Just Cake Girl said...

It looks amazing! Have fuuuun !!!!! :)))

teresa said...

lucky duck! my parents have a cabin there and it's honestly got to be my very favorite place in all the world!

this looks amazing, i do love chocolate. have a wonderful time!

Unknown said...

Have a great break!

This was the perfect post to leave us with! :)

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

These look incredibly fudgy! Yum!

Unknown said...

I just wiped the drool from my keyboard.

Have a great trip!!

Mickey said...

Need to keep this one. Looks yummy
mickey

Liz said...

Ooo, that cake looks SO fudgy! Love the strawberry on top.

Unknown said...

Just jumped over from your guest post with Chef Dennis. I love your blog!! Have a great vacation!!!

Ali said...

Hope your vacation involves lots of sun, chocolate and minimal zombies. Have fun lady!

Cathy said...

Yum, I love the looks of this recipe. Have a great vacation. Hope you enjoy every minute.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Have a wonderful holiday. Your cake and its frosting are the perfect good bye gift. Have a good evening. Blessings...Mary

MrsKinne said...

Yum! And, enjoy your vacation! :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Happy Holiday-ing! And I've never heard the caffeine fix put so eloquently before with 'it screws my head on straight.' That truly is genius dear girl. I experienced my first unintentional caffeine deprivation migraine last Sat - ended up running four hours of errands in the am without a drop - and it nearly put me down for the count. You will be missed - can't wait to hear about your snow bunny adventure!

Sue said...

Yep, I love chocolate and your cake looks so good! Have fun on your vacation!

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

WOW this cake looks and sounds amazing! Have a great vacation!!! :-)

Joyti said...

Wow, that sounds SO delicious.

Monet said...

I hope you have an AMAZING trip. I wish I could have some of this cake :-) Thanks for sharing, sweet lady. I'll be looking forward to your return.

Erin said...

How funny. You made a cake too. Our recipes are different, but a lot alike. Love your plates- I want them. Have fun on your trip!

Unknown said...

the cake looks so densely delicious. Have fun in Wyoming! Take care.

Unknown said...

Love zombie movies! Shaun of the Dead being my all time favorite :)
Enjoy your vacation! And the cake looks absolutely delicious!

Marina said...

I wish you a great vacation with lots of zombie movies :)

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Man, that is one moist and delicious looking piece of chocolate cake. I bet it would be a million times tastier than that greek yogurt I'm eating with my coffee right now. :o)
Have a blast being a snow bunny!!!

Pam said...

What a great dessert! Have a safe fun time on your vacation!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Have a great time on your vacation, Jen! You've worked hard in the kitchen and with the little one I'm sure, and you deserve some fun in the sun. :) Enjoy!

Clements Family said...

YUM! I love chocolate. That looks amazing. Have fun on vacation!

rebecca said...

enjoy the slopes my blog friend! your blog makes me smile. thought you should know. :)

Velva said...

A cake that can feed the masses is a very good thing. Enjoy your time away. We will be here when you return relaxed and rejuvenated.

Cheers.
Velva

Lorraine said...

I have been wanting to try this cake for a long time. Yours came out beautiful. Have a great vacation...I am jealous:)

Jade said...

This cake looks fabulous! Enjoy your vacation.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy vacation! And I will totally enjoy this cake :) I love the polka dot plate, ps!

Kris Ngoei said...

Have a great vacation! (I can see that smile in your happy face!)...

Meanwhile this cake is delicious.... I am a chocolate fan too, so now we have one more thing in common ;-)

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

Haha, have a good vacation! I hope there are no zombies in Jackson Wyoming but plenty of chocolate brownies!

p.s. I also have to have that cup of coffee in the morning, otherwise I can't function :)

Lori said...

Nice styling. Love the greens. Springy. Have fun on your trip!

Evan B said...

I need to make this as soon as possible! Have fun on your vacation :)

Unknown said...

SO lovely!
have a nice week end, barbara

The Cilantropist said...

Jenni, I was laughing out loud reading this post, you are HILARIOUS! :D Have an awesome time skiing (or snowboarding?) and in the meantime I will try not to drool over your cake too much.

Anne said...

The cake sounds lovely and I love your photos! Wow! Enjoy your trip!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Now that is one awesome chocolate piece of decadence! Now following you and hope you can follow back.....thanks for your kind comment on my blog last week. Have fun being a snow bunny!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Happy Vacation to you!

The cake looks delicious... actually I think it is what we call a Texas Sheet cake. Used to make it a lot but haven't lately.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you return! :)

Mary said...

It looks great! I enjoyed it, visually at least, with my coffee this morning. Enjoy your vacation!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Mmmmm...love that cake. (That must mean I'm not a zombie, right?) Have a great time on your vacation- I'm jealous!)

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

Have fun on your trip. I hope you don't encounter any zoonbies in the snow.

Carolyn said...

I hope you are enjoying your vacation! I need one, that quote on the top photo is so me right now, I can't take any more of what I've been taking.
Now pass the chocolate cake!

Kristen said...

you crack me up! zombies and all. Have a blast in Jackson. I am sooo jealous. being a ski bunny here in the east is not quite the same.

Monica Adriana said...

yum! this must be soooo delicious. it looks so chocolatey and makes me drool.. anyway i love the green saucer as well! :)

Bake-A-Holic said...

Made this cake. Delicious!