Saturday, March 19, 2011

Chestnut Cake with Whipped Cream and Strawberries





I’m back from vacation and ready to go out the airplane gates. I learned a few things on the plane rides, and being my first post back I thought I would share.


- Eating at the airport requires the payment of half a paycheck or your first born…which if she behaved like mine you will hand her right over.


- Escalators and moving sidewalks provide all the entertainment your toddler desires and all the exercise you can handle.







- Stickers and coloring books can only keep your kids attention for so long. Airplane silence except for your kids screech is mortifying, even if everyone says they understand.


- Kids think that farting is funny (your neighbors may not)…on a very silent 650am morning flight.







This is random, and so am I. On my way back from the airport there was a homeless man with a sign that read “Bet you can’t hit me with a quarter”.


I am so glad to be back and will share some great vacation pictures soon! And now on to a great cake, chestnut cake. So fabulous and a great vehicle for anything.







INGREDIENTS for Chestnut Puree
(Full Printable Recipe)


12 oz (2 cups) chestnuts, roasted and peeled
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp vanilla


INGREDIENTS for the Chestnut Cake

· 2 cups cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for dusting
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 3/4 teaspoon salt
· 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
· 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
· 4 large eggs, separated, plus 1 large egg white
· 1 cup Chestnut Puree
· 1/4 cup whole milk

- Whipped Cream and strawberries for topping..your choice!







DIRECTIONS for the Chestnut Puree


In a saucepan, combine chestnuts, sugar and water, bringing the liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-35 minutes, until the majority of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.







Strain chestnuts, reserving sugar syrup, and transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add in syrup slowly until desired consistency is obtained. Allow to cool before refrigerating.







DIRECTIONS for the Chestnut Cake


Pre-heat oven to 350, select a baking pan to butter and flour. I used a mini loaf pan to make lots of little cakes.


Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.







Place Vanilla Extract in a large bowl. Add 1 cup sugar, and beat with a mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Add butter, and beat until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with chestnut puree after first addition and milk after second, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Transfer batter to a large bowl.







Beat egg whites in a clean bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.


Whisk one-third of the egg whites into batter just until combined. Gently but thoroughly fold in remaining whites. Scrape batter into prepared pan, and smooth top.






Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour for a full cake, mini cakes are about 25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

Top with Whipped Cream and Strawberries, and let me add...you have been missed.

39 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Spring meets autumn in a cake! Delightful.

I love you first quote...

Cheers and welcome back,

Rosa

Unknown said...

Welcome back!

Just the thought of taking my children on a plane gives me heart palpitations! You survived it...and so now... can DO ANYTHING!!!

Beautiful cake and equally beautiful photos!

Marisa Seguin said...

I've never tried chestnut cake before! Sounds excellent. I can't wait for strawberry season!

Kudos on surviving the plane travel! You should get a medal or something. I find it stressful enough just keeping track of myself and all my stuff when flying! (I once left my wallet on a plane once and the airline actually mailed it back to me!)

Bo said...

Lovely little cakes!

Shannon said...

You're back!! I hope you guys had a great time on vacay, I bet you got tons of pics of adorable little Indigo. Oh and this cake? 10 bucks my husband reads this and demands I make it.

elizabeth said...

this sounds wonderful! I've been wanting to work with chestnuts more, and this looks like the perfect project for that. Thanks for the recipe!

rebecca said...

looking forward to the vacay pics. i've never eaten a chestnut. what on earth does it taste like?

Unknown said...

Welcome back! This looks great : )

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Your airport wisdom is SO true!

The Church Cook said...

Looks scrumptious Jennifurla! I am returning from a trip, too, and can't wait to get some cooking done! :)

Anna said...

The recipes look fantastic, but it's the quote in that first pic that pulled me in. It was just so poignant! I totally look terrible and angry in my photo and long flights are a surefire way to make me look quite a bit like the loch ness monster.

Anonymous said...

Your insights made me laugh! Sometimes there is nothing better than getting back into your regular routine at home and baking in your own kitchen after a time away :) This cake looks fantastic! Hope you had a great trip!

Alessandra said...

I love chestnuts and anything that you can do with them. I grew up collecting and eating chestnuts, my family had a chestnut wood in Italy. Now I miss them because they are not so easy to find in NZ.

i hope I can find some this Fall! In the meantime I'll look at your cake :-)

ciao
Alessandra

Cooking Gallery said...

Hmmm....Strawberries and cream :D)!! This is something I can't resist!

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

If I could only find some chestnuts . . . strawberries and cream I can handle. Look forward to the vaca pictures.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

Yummy yum! This sounds {and looks} amazing!!

Julie said...

Wow, never heard of chestnut cake...sounds amazing! The trip sounds...eventful :)

Bite my cake said...

welcome back! this looks lovely and sooo delicious!

Unknown said...

Ha! Traveling with small kids is quite an experience! Love those moving sidewalks for toddlers.

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

Such a funny post! I agree about the passport photo thing... why oh why??

Your photos are beautiful by the way, I love chestnuts :)

Unknown said...

Welcome back! Beautiful photos!
I had to laugh reading this post. I can understand everything you were saying about the airport. I have traveled with my both my little ones and it's always interesting. :)

Pam said...

Welcome back! The cake sounds delicious and that last photo is perfect! I remember those days long ago going through the airport with a toddler, quite an adventure!

Anonymous said...

Wow, omgosh, that looks soo goood!!
I wish I could just take a trip over to
your house right now and indulge in your fine
delicacies! hahah, yummies :)
xx natalie

ps. I want sunnn!!! hhaha

Shaheen said...

Welcome home.

I've never had chestnut cake and this does sound rather good. Cute little chestnut loaves.

Unknown said...

Awesome! And thank for stopping by my blog. Totally lovin yours!! ♥- Katrina

mr. pineapple man said...

I love chestnuts!!! I would love to try this...but I'm to lazy to make it myself :(

Unknown said...

That chestnut cake sounds delightful! And you topped it with strawberries and those suckers always get me going. Welcome back! I hope your vacation (other than the plane rides) was wonderful!

Kristen said...

YOU have been missed! Welcome home, loved hearing the airport antics and lessons. can't wait to see photos!

That chestnut puree is something else. wow.

teresa said...

oh i have SO been there with the airplane fun, especially the silent plane dreads!

welcome back, and what a great way to come back, the cake looks great!

Unknown said...

I am so making this cake with the chesnuts that I bought for a recipe that I never made, I like the way you put this all together with strawberries and whipped cream. Glad you made it out of the airport and back home;-)

jenn from midlife modern said...

Hey now! How lovely is this blog?! Thanks for leaving a comment on mine so I could find my way to yours. I would like to follow you in your baking (and traveling) adventures!

Angie's Recipes said...

Wish I could find some chestnuts here now...the cake looks heavenly! Thanks for lightening up my day with such a delightful and delicious post!
I wish you a great week ahead!
Angie

Marina said...

Can't wait to see your pictures!!

Unknown said...

Welcome back, Jen! LOL Love the homeless guys sign!! hehehe Looking forward to hearing more about your vacation. The cake looks and sounds fantastic!!

aipi said...

Glad to see your post and I loved your first quote :)
The cake looks great. A very interesting recipe using chestnuts..

US Masala

egbkid said...

Looks delicious, glad you had a good vacation! I have never travelled outside of a car with a toddler, but i can imagine it can be testing at times!

Shandy said...

Oh YUM! Lovr, love love the cake with strawberries and WELCOME BACK!

Annalise said...

I don't comment here enough. I love your photos and your quotes. Your trip to Jackson looked like a blast! And this cake is so unique, I'm intrigued.

Monica H said...

I've never had chestnuts before but I really want to try them in this cake. BTW, those strawberries are huge!