Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lemon & Herb Spaghetti






So, did I tell you the hilarious story about my Indigo, The one that involves her layering no less than 17 pieces of clothing on to her body? No? Well sit on back ya’ll.


Picture this. . . . .


After 32.5 minutes of book reading, toddler huggin, and general stalling…by the toddler, Indigo finally fell asleep. Mom went downstairs and began re-doing her kitchen cabinets. Dad was busying himself by exercising the remote control (if not properly utilized they can break you know!!).


Fast forward 2 hours later, and this is what went down.









Indigo woke up, girlfriend had to pee and is freshly potty trained. Indigo scurried into to her bathroom and all 3ft of her tried with all her might to climb the toilet…


FAIL


Failing to a toddler is heartbreaking, they only want to please you and I assume her bottom lip protruded when she peed all over the floor. Being that she is a smart gal, she hatched a plan.









She ran into her room and disrobed, placing the wet clothes in her trash bin. She then proceeded to find a new outfit. With 3 shirts, 2 skirts (over her arms), and 4 pairs of pants (on various parts) she was ready for her debut…and that is how the husband found her.








INGREDIENTS
Delightfully borrowed from Smitten Kitchen
{Printable Recipe}

1 pound spaghetti or linguine
Salt
3 lemons
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil , plus additional for serving
1/4 cup heavy cream
½ cup of Parmesan, plus more for the final product
Ground black pepper
1 cup chopped basil or chives…or both! Live dangerously.


PS – I tried both and preferred the basil, but chives rocked it out too. Lemon is the true star. Might I also add, I ate this no less that 5 days in a row – It re-heats well! Perfect for a nice week at work.









DIRECTIONS

Cook linguine or spaghetti in well-salted water to your al dente tastes in a large, wide-bottomed pot. (You’ll have fewer dishes to wash if you use this pot to assemble the dish as well.)


While pasta is cooking, zest lemons until you have a little shy of a tablespoon of zest. Juice lemons — you’ll have anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 cup lemon juice.









Drain pasta, reserving 1 1/2 cups of pasta cooking water. Dry out your pot, then boil the olive oil, cream, zest and 1 cup of the reserved pasta water together for two minutes over high heat. Return pasta to pot and stir until coated. Add the cheese and 1/4 cup lemon juice and toss everything together. Add more pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, until the noodles are nice and loose.









Add remaining Lemon Juice, then toss in the basil or chives.


When serving top with more fresh herbs and some more parm, and Olive oil..and bread…and maybe some wine?




31 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Hyper scrumptious! I love those flavors.

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

I'll be having something very similar to this later with addition of olives. I cannot wait! Delicious.

Unknown said...

It's amazing how wonderful lemon and herb spaghetti is!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

This sounds divine! I've got to make this SOOOOON!

rebecca said...

have i told you how much i love the name indigo?

this dish looks right up my alley btw. the hubs has been out of town all week. if i feel like being sweet, i'll cook this for him when he gets home.

Barbara said...

Such a cute story....served up with a sumptuous pasta! And so simple. Which is always the best kind.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Such an adorable story! This pasta is making me so jealous of your warm weather!

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your story :) Delicious pasta..

Unknown said...

Cute story! I love how hard they try at the potty!
This looks yummy!

Holly said...

Poor little lady!!! Too funny:) This pasta sounds mouthwatering:)!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I love the correlation between the lemon pasta recipe and Indigo's pee malfunction. Utterly hilarious. And delicious. And strange, in a good way. I love your blog girlie - it's one of my faves and always delights and entertains!!

Tracy said...

Haha, poor thing! The pasta looks lovely though! :-)

aipi said...

You are a great story teller..love them all :)
Pasta looks so nice n refreshing..great pics!


US Masala

Delicious Dishings said...

Cute story. And what a lovely pasta dish. I love lemony sauce with pasta. Just made chicken piccata and angel hair last night.

Liz said...

Haha, oh my, that's hilariously cute!! Too funny - just the laugh I needed tonight.

scrambledhenfruit said...

Too cute! There's never a dull moment when you have a toddler in the house! The pasta looks great too. :)

Kristen said...

I have photos of my sons "dressing" themselves. It's so fun to see toddlers try to do things for themselves.

I love the lemon in the pasta. Sounds so refreshing and tasty.

Julie said...

She's a clever one, for sure :) My son would love this pasta, he likes his pure and unadulterated. So of course I'd have to leave out the green stuff.

Just Cake Girl said...

This looks so good!!!

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

Really great summer recipe. I have to admit when I was a teeny tiny toddler I almost mistook a bin for a toilet. Thank goodness my mum stopped me before it was too late :S

Unknown said...

Great story! Love how you tied it into the lemon pasta recipe..hehehe...and the lemon pasta: Love it! I've made something very similar..and it's a staple in our house.

Deborah said...

Kids are too funny! This sounds like something my daughter would do! And the spaghetti looks amazing.

Sue said...

This sounds fantastic and so springy! I would have loved to see Indigo after her wardrobe change:)

Unknown said...

Your Indy sounds like an adorably smart gal, and this pasta looks amazing! I've missed coming over here. Thanks for sending me your fab vibes, it may be working!

Super Handyman Dave said...

You made me hungary now im going out to eat.Dave

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

This does sound wonderful . . . and perfect for a Lenten Friday. Mr. Rosemary will probably want some shrimp added to it, though.

Why do toddlers love to layer so?!

erica said...

I very much so dislike spaghetti. But now after seeing this recipe I think I will have to venture out and try some new things, because this looks beyond delish!

xo

MJ said...

Wonder how I missed out on such a wonderful blog =) I love the pasta and you have awesome story telling abilities =) nice to meet you!!! Will be around!!

Unknown said...

As much as I love all the pictures of this delicious looking pasta, I wish we had a picture of Indigo in all her clothing glory!

Chris said...

Poor kid!

And this dish looks just delightful and Springy!

Eliana said...

I would so live dangerously with this pasta dish and add all different herbs. It looks incredibly delicious.