Thursday, April 22, 2010

Banana Pop Tarts



Homemade pop-tarts, need I say more? I was taking a cruise via Google; checking in on my favorite blogs and came across the pop-tart. How fun I thought, thinking of future Indigo sleepovers where mom makes the whole crew homemade tarts for breakfast.

So since I got that idea in my head, the baking bug was really biting me. I talked my husband into making them for dinner. Traffic was terrible and we had things to do so I phoned in for the hubster to take the pie crust out of the freezer and pre-heat the oven so that the minute I walked in the door I could make these sweet little things.



INGREDIENTS FOR 6-8 LARGE POP TARTS

2 Pie Crust, or homemade. I used http://indigosugarspectrum.blogspot.com/2010/04/pie-crust.html
3 ripe bananas
3 tbs of light brown sugar
1 tbs pancake syrup
1 egg, whisked
Granulated white sugar for dusting

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl mash together your bananas, brown sugar & syrup; this is your filling.

Divide your dough into 6-8 large squares, on parchment paper (floured) take one piece and roll out into a large square shape (or close to it) we will cut off the edges so do not worry about being to neat – heck mine looked like small countries… Remember to dust the dough with flour since it should be very thin.

Place two large spoonfuls of your filling onto one side of the dough, then fold the other half over top of it. With a floured fork press down the edges, then with a pizza cutter lop off the messy edge. Sorry for the lack of photos, but sometimes life is just happening to quickly. I know you know what I mean!

Now place that pop-tart onto a baking dish covered in parchment paper. Finish making the rest of your pop tarts. When finished you want to brush each pop tart with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. The last step is to cut vents into the top of each tart.

Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until desired browning.

“What me take a bite, don’t mind if I do!”

3 comments:

Pam said...

I love making homemade pop tarts - yours look fantastic.

Shannon said...

Never woulda thunk to make my own pop-tarts. Can I add nuts??? Thats really the only way I enjoy bananas.

Unknown said...

I did walnuts in some for the hubby, makes them more filling too. I just preferred the *nutless* ones..lol