Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Creamy Potato Soup with Sausage

There was a huge crisis averted last night, let me tell you. I was watching the first episode of Season 4, The Tudors. I love this show. Well half way through I get a message on my T.V. screen saying “Out of space, cannot record LOST”, I turned that channel so fast it would make your head spin and frantically erased programming so I could fit LOST on my DVR. I made it just in time too! I would have fainted had me and the hubby went to watch it this week and it wasn’t there! So crisis averted, you can thank me later dear husband.

Yesterday evening was also some great time with my Indy, she helped me pour ingredients for bread we were making and she really enjoys helping. She is at a truly great age, when she was a baby it always felt so one sided; meaning I gave way more than I got. Right now at 21 months she gives me so much in return I am barely worthy of her! Sorry to gush but I guess it is sort of my job, right?



Now on to my soup; do you ever find yourself tossing leftover potatoes? You know that bag that it is sitting in your cabinet waiting for you to forget about it….cringe. Well bust it out and make some soup, soup that you can enjoy leisurely for a couple of days and not have to worry about making dinner. This is a comfort soup for sure, nice & tasty and very filling. Made with motherly love and husband approved…even Indy had her share and you all know how Indy feels about moms cooking.

INGREDIENTS FOR SOUP, SERVES MANY…FOR A FEW DAYS…AT LEAST…UNLESS YOU’RE LIKE KING KONG.

2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup carrot, chopped
½ cup celery chopped
2 cups of cooked turkey sausage, I used Hillshire Farms.
6 cups potato, diced
3 cups of chicken broth
7 tbs of butter, 1 reserved for sauté of the vegetables
6 tbs of flour
5 cups of milk
2 cups of Swiss cheese, or any cheese you prefer

DIRECTIONS

Over a medium high heat in a very large pot sauté your onion, carrot, celery with 1 tbs of butter for about 5 minutes. Add in your sausage and potato next and sauté for another 3-4 minutes. Turn your heat down to a low setting and cover the pot let it all marinate for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes add in the 3 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer while we move on to the next step.

In a large sauce pan melt 6 tbs of butter. With a whisk add in your 6 tbs of flour one at a time until combined. Now you can add in your milk slowly whisking the whole time, bring this mixture to a boil, you will notice it thickening. Remember to whisk, once the mixture is thickened you can add in your cheese and mix again.

The last step is to pour your milk mixture into the soup and mix well; let this simmer for about 10 minutes then take your potato masher and mash a little within the pot to create and even thicker soup.

You’re done, enjoy.

No comments: