Monday, March 22, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt



Man how far Disney films have come; I watched Snow White over the weekend with Indy and just could not believe it. Although I must say my heart was a little warmed watching this old timer gem of a flick. My little girl was under the weather and we just had a really low key day of movie watching and cookie baking. I had made dough the previous day and we had already planned on making them Sunday. They turned out great and came in mighty handy for comfort.

So about these cookies - yum. You will find that “yum” is a descriptor I am often calling on. These cookies have bite for sure since they are topped with sea salt. A very popular thing right now it seems is the union of chocolate and salt, I knew when I saw this recipe it was one I wanted to try.



INGREDIENTS

2 cups minus 2 tbs of Cake Flour
1 2/3 cup bread flour
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ sea salt
2 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cup light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tbs of granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 ¼ pounds bittersweet chocolate chips/disk, 60% cacao
Sea salt, for the cookie topping

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl sift together your flours along with the baking soda, powder and salt.




In another bowl cream together the sugars and butter with a hand mixer. Once nicely bonded add in the eggs and vanilla, blend well; after that slowly add in your dry ingredients until incorporated nicely. It is all good from here, just cut open you bad of chocolate and add them into your dough; be gentle.



Now wrap your dough in a plastic wrap or grocery bag and refrigerate over night. I know this is torture, but hey it is good to have to work for your treats.

And can I add a few more words, Isn’t dough just a gorgeous thing…take a spoonful and enjoy please.



So come 24 hours later, you just need to line a baking sheet with parchment paper and then throw down some golf ball sized dough balls. Here is where you will want to sprinkle very lightly with your extra sea salt. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes, they should be golden brown and just lovely. I let mine rest on a wired rack for about 2 hours.

The results . . . . .



And the results just a few minutes later. . . . .

1 comment:

Tracy said...

These cookies look gorgeous - I definitely want to try them with the sea salt!