Monday, March 1, 2010

Cinnamon Apple Cheescake

I do believe I successfully created my first utterly fantastic cheesecake, I ROCK. It was not tasking in anyway, went very smoothly & the outcome…divine. Now my daughter would tell you otherwise, she took one bite and promptly deposited that bite into my hand. I brought in half the cake for my co-workers, who all had cheesecake for breakfast. They raved about the apples in the middle; I think your family and friends will too.

INGREDIENTS (cooked in a 10’ inch spring form pan)

CRUST
2 cups of Cinnamon sugar graham crackers; I used the old fashioned from TJ’s
2 tsp of ginger
2tbs brown sugar
½ tsp of cinnamon
½ stick unsalted butter, melted

APPLES
3 Large apples; I used Jonah’s Gold.
½ stick unsalted butter
2 tbs light brown sugar

FILLING
3 8oz packages of regular cream cheese
¾ cup light brown sugar
6 tbs sugar
3 tbs apple cider
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp of cinnamon
3 large eggs
¾ cup sour cream
1/3 cup heavy cream

First, butter your spring form pan bottom & sides. You can also pre-heat your oven to 350.



Now let’s makes the crust. In a large Ziploc bag or in a food processor, mix together your graham crackers, ginger, brown sugar & cinnamon. I used a meat hammer to finely crumb my crackers and spices.



Now you mix your crumbs and melted butter in a bowl, and we’re ready to make that crust. Firmly press you mixture along the bottom of the pan and just a wee bit up the sides. Place this in your freezer for 10 minutes. After your 10 minutes are up your oven should be preheated. Cook the crust with aluminum foil on the bottom of the pan sitting in a baking pan….pan pan pan. He he. Bake for 10 minutes, set aside to cool.



Now let’s move onto the apples. Core and thinly slice your 3 apples. Fry the apples in the butter for about 5 minutes then add in the brown sugar and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Apples will be soft but hold their form. Set aside. Now for times sake, you will need to boil a large pot of water to use as your cake bath.



The filling is next; you might get a little arm work here if you are like me & used a hand mixer. Not sweat though. Place your softened cream cheese in a bowl and beat for 4 minutes. Do not skimp on beating ladies (that’s what she said). Next add the sugars and beat for 2 more minutes. You will notice a small consistency change after all the mixing. Beat in the cider, vanilla & cinnamon.



Beat in the eggs one at a time, about 40 seconds for each. Now beat in the sour cream & heavy cream for about 1 minute more. Filling = MADE.

Alright now, it is time to assemble the masterpiece. Pour a third of your batter onto the crust and top with your apples. My apples had major juice; I gave them a squeeze before placing them.





Now pour the remaining batter over the apples. Your cake pan needs to be placed inside of a large roasting pan and then surrounded by that boiling water you already had going. Transfer to the oven and bake for 45 minutes at 350. Once the first 45 minutes are up you will want to tent your cake with foil and cook for 45 more minutes. This will prevent burning. When all of that is said and done remove from the oven and cool until the cheesecake is at room temp, transfer to your refrigerator overnight. I know it’s a long time to wait, but trust me.

The next day . . . .

On your table


In your mouth

In your belly


This recipe was delightfully borrowed from
http://sugarcrafter.net/2009/09/14/brown-sugar-apple-cheesecake/

No comments: