Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Indigo with a side of Lima Bean & Potato Soup



The happiest parts of any of my days are when I first pick Indigo up from daycare, or when she gets up in the morning and I open her bedroom door. I am savoring her running at full speed into my arms or handing me her tangled blankets from her crib. She loves me so much and I love her so much, plain and simple.

When I picked up Indigo yesterday I was informed that not only did she walk backwards all around their classroom but that she also drank from her first *big girl* cup. These are two great accomplishments for a kid and two great wonderments for a parent. When you are first gifted your child you wander how they will ever do stuff, and I mean any type of *stuff* but man is this *stuff* coming at a fast pace now. The excitement is overwhelming. I am terribly thankful for being able to observe her everyday and I take great pleasure in every small step she takes. I guess some people when they become parents never think that things like waving bye, blowing a kiss or drinking from a cup will blow your mind; but they will and do EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Sooo. While all this cup drinking was going on, I gathered and chopped all the following ingredients.



INGREDIENTS

4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
2 Celery stalks, sliced thin on a bias
1 Onion, chopped
2 Large Potatoes, chopped
1 can of Lima Beans
1 can of Corn
2 ½ cups Vegetable Broth
1 ½ cups of Whole Milk
1 tbs of vegetable or sunflower oil
½ tsp of dried sage or more (have to taste test!)
Salt for taste
Cornstarch to thicken, if you like…and I do.

DIRECTIONS

In a large pot sauté your oil, garlic, bell pepper, celery, onion & potatoes for about 5 minutes. After this turn your heat down to low and cover the pot so the vegetables can sweat it out for at least 10 minutes.

After the 10 minutes are up add in your vegetable broth and bring to a boil; turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes add in your milk, lima beans, corn, sage & salt. Simmer your soup for another 5 minutes or so and add in the cornstarch to thicken soup (mix cornstarch with cold water before adding to the soup to prevent clumping).



And now you are all done, this makes a really light but filling soup.

No comments: