Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tomato & Basil Soup

Last night was a husband’s choice night; I let him decide what we should make. He is a total soup lover and chose a tomato basil soup. I won’t like to you; and neither will the ingredient list..There might be a few extra calories in this recipe. We enjoyed it with some crushed saltines on top, might I also recommend a pepperoni or two? Indigo was not interested, and frankly I was glad – girlfriend has a way of tracking food into all rooms of the house and I was not crazy about cleaning up tomato soup. Don’t fret over her dinner though; she enjoyed a nicely chopped avocado and some chicken. I find it really odd that a girl who enjoyed cake & bagels in the womb, very rarely likes to eat what mom makes today.



I would also like to apologize to my poor little girl; her and my coffee table often end up in scuffles. I should have kicked this table to the curb by now! Indigo had a brief meeting with the corner via her cheek, poor thing. Hugs Indigo.

INGREDIENTS

(2) 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
(1) 14.5 oz can chicken broth
3-4 tbs of fresh minced basil leaves
3 tsp of sugar
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup of butter

DIRECTIONS

Bring to a boil in a large pot your tomatoes & chicken broth, then turn to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. After simmering add in the basil, sugar, cream & butter. Let all of the soup come to a simmer once again. Your soup is ready now if you prefer a soup with little bits, if you want a creamier soup (like me) you can use an immersion blender or a drink blender to combine. Don’t burn yourself please!

No comments: