Friday, August 27, 2010
"Party" Petit Fours - Daring Bakers August Challenge
Daring Bakers to me is like a personal trainer. I see this personal trainer from time to time and she totally whips me into shape....or points out how out of shape I am.
PETIT FOURS, when I think of them I envision hundreds of year ago people at court enjoying them. They are dainty & sweet, a beautiful and neatly trimmed treat...well not mine! ha
So, Let's get started why don't we. Oh wait, a confession. This is store bought ice cream...
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BROWN BUTTER POUND CAKE
19 tablespoons (9.5 oz) (275g) unsalted (sweet) butter
2 cups (200g) sifted cake flour (not self-rising; sift before measuring)
1 teaspoon (5g) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
1/2 cup (110g) packed light brown sugar
1/3 (75g) cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F/160°C and put a rack in the center. Butter and flour a 9”x9” (23cmx23cm) square pan.
2. Place the butter in a 10” (25cm) skillet over medium heat. Brown the butter until the milk solids are a dark chocolate brown and the butter smells nutty. (Don’t take your eyes off the butter in case it burns.) Pour into a shallow bowl and chill in the freezer until just congealed, 15-30 minutes.
3. Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Beat the brown butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well, and then the vanilla extract.
5. Stir in the flour mixture at low speed until just combined.Scrape the batter into the greased and floured 9”x9” (23cmx23cm) square pan. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula and Tap the pan on the counter. Bake until golden brown on top and when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
6. Once cooled, flip cake out on a flat surface and split cake in half with a sharp knife - LIKE SO ...
So there is another part to this, let me explain - you can totally cook your own ice cream cake by paying attention to the next pictures.
Line a small baking pan with saran wrap. Place a couple large scoops of ice cream on the saran wrap and spread with you fingers and a spatula..like so
press press press press pat pat press
Now cover with the other half of the wrap and place in the freezer for at least 3 hours. Once it is frozen hard take out of the freezer and place on one half of the pound cake, like so
Now, pop the top on and trim to make it nice & neat.
Next place the whole cake in the freezer for at least 4 hours, remove and cut your petit fours. Then those little pain's in the butt need to be put back in the freezer...longer...few more hours
But you still have more work, time to make the Glaze...You tired yet?
Chocolate Glaze (For the Ice Cream Petit Fours)
9 ounces (250g) dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup (250 ml) heavy (approx 35% butterfat) cream
1 1/2 tablespoons (32g) light corn syrup, Golden syrup, or agave nectar
2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
Stir the heavy cream and light corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add the dark chocolate. Let sit 30 seconds, then stir to completely
Dip each Petit Four, tap gently and place on a parchment lined baking pan - and you guessed it...back in the freezer.