Sunday, August 15, 2010

Rosemary Shortbread





Well these are just delightful & different. Spotted the recipe and new I needed to try it. I have a huge lot of Rosemary in my backyard so why not get it involved with my baking.







And so we have Rosemary Shortbread, buttery and rich with the distinct taste of Rosemary! A few people crinkled their nose but when they found out what it is, it all made sense in their heads and they came back for more.



INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
White sugar for topping the uncooked shortbread







DIRECTIONS



In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 2/3 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour salt and rosemary until well blended. The dough will be somewhat soft. Roll into a ball and refrigerate in plastic wrap for 1 hour.



AND IT GOES A LIL SOMETHING LIKE THIS....






"This is the way we mix the stuff mix the stuff, mix the stuff"





"This is the way we mix the stuff so early in the morning."







Once the dough has come together and is cold on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into 2 logs and freeze for at least 1 hour. Remove from freezer and cut with a sharp knife into disks.

Place on a parchment lined pan and top generously with sugar.






Bake at 350 for 10- 12 minutes or until the edges are just lightly browned.



Now it is time to let them cool...if you can...I mean shoot it's hard not to want to sample straight away!



29 comments:

NEL, the batter baker said...

I bet these taste really good!
The rosemary looks so nice and fresh! Very envious that your weather over there is great for herbs. Wish I could have my own herb garden...

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, wow! I am going to try these. My husband loves rosemary in all kings of dishes so I am curious if he will like it in a cookie. I recently made lavender shortbread cookies that were unique but really good.

I have had a rosemary plant in my garden for several years. Thanks for posting!

WendyinKK said...

I'd love these with tea please.

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love rosemary, so why not? These sound delicious. (And I love your cute polka dot plate!)

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

I love rosemary, this is quite an interesting recipe. I may have to try it!!

Kim said...

Rosemary is so fragrant and wonderful. I bet these are delicious!

Unknown said...

I love rosemary in my desserts. Everyone else in the house would be with those nose crinkling folks. I could eat the whole batch myself easily. I think I should.

Julie said...

I don't think I'd be crinkling my nose :)

Monet said...

I think rosemary does wonders for so many dishes/foods...and I'm sure that these cookies are no different. I would be very happy to sit down to a plate of these with a cup of tea. Thanks for sharing love!

Angie's Recipes said...

A dozen, please! I really adore the ANYTHING rosemary!
Angie

Unknown said...

WOW!! Yummy shortbreads!! Easy to prepare and looks tasty too..Thanks for sharing the step pictures..

The Church Cook said...

Ooooo, I love short bread but with rosemary? Love it more!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs. Our cats love it too...it's like cat nip to them!! I'll definitely be trying these! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing - I love shortbread and I love the ide aof a fragrant rosemary version! And most of all I adore your green polka-dot plate!

Tracy said...

Rosemary is my favorite herb, and this shortbread looks so lovely!

teresa said...

hi! coming over from ungourmet! you've got an adorable blog, adn this shortbread looks fantastic!

Elina said...

I love things like that! They just have a little unexpected twist but still offer the familiar taste of buttery shortbread. Yum! :)
Quick (hopefully) question for you - how is the light in your kitchen so perfect? Do you use special equipment or some software afterwords to make them so bright? I would like to add more "progress photos" to my blog but the light in there is just atrocious for pictures. :(

Unknown said...

Elina - I upload my pictures using Flickr. There is a free tool called Picnic to modify pictures. I use the exposure feature to adjust the brightness and or contrast.

try it! I love it.

theUngourmet said...

Rosemary is one of my most favorite herbs. I've never tried them in a shortbread. Yum! They look so fantastic!

Evan B said...

I love shortbread because it is so easy to make and delicious at that.. we have a bunch of rosemary in the garden and I think this might be just the recipe to use some up! :)

Alessandra said...

Great step by step recipe, brava! I'll be back for sure, for the time being I'll join the list of your followers :-)

Ciao

Alessandra

Sue said...

WOW! These look/sound WONDERFUL! Rosemary is a great touch to shortbread, and how nice to have it in your own backyard:)

Unknown said...

These cookies, combined with my favorite herb, make them look awesome! I bet they taste scrumptious too! Wish I had more herbs in my garden too... not just basil.
Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen

Joyti said...

There's a place near me that sells rosemary-pine nut shortbread...they're so good...and I bet yours are AMAZING. Especially since you used fresh rosemary rather than dried.

Unknown said...

funny you posted this... I was just looking for a new shortbread. I love that!

cookies and cups said...

I love savory shortbread, and rosemary is one of my favorite herbs, yum!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your shortbread looks absolutely delicious. I expect nothing less than perfection from a mommy who can pee on the potty :-). I'm still laughing about that one. I hope you and your gang have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Elina said...

Thanks so much! :)

À LA GRAHAM said...

I am addicted to rosemary...love it! Have you tried Giada's strawberry/rosemary scones? I posted the recipe a few months ago...soooo good! You need to try them while you have your fresh rosemary in the garden.