Sunday, January 9, 2011

Amaretto Cream Tart with a Coconut Shortbread Shell





I wanted to take just a moment to say how sorry I am for all the families affected in Tucson.


How unexpected and terrible to not know, that you are sharing someone’s last moments with them. I shed tears for them and am a stranger, I prayed for them with my daughter. I cherished holding my Indigo’s hands and speaking out loud our prayer.


Can I share a positive moment? I know normally I am a little more comical…but since this event, I wanted to share a really lovely story..nothing big, but a really nice moment.







Indigo & I go shopping together every weekend for groceries. When we check out the lovely ladies always offer miss Indigo a balloon (which tickles any toddlers fancy).


If you know a toddler when they get something they don’t want anybody Else's hands on it…which means once we got outside it is all on her not to let go of the balloon.

But again if you know toddlers, they drop everything.


So here we are outside and she lets go, It crossed my mind to run after the balloon as it dragged through the parking lot but I couldn't leave my Indy sitting there in the cart.







Out of the corner of my eye I see this huge truck heading right toward her balloon (all while Miss Indy is loosing her mind with toddler grief). This huge truck swerves and hits her balloon…then a guy jumps out, grabs the balloon and brings it across the parking lot - back to us. He saw Indy lose it and made it his mission to get it back to her.


Dude, how cool is this guy?


It made my day. It made my Indigo’s day. I am thankful for that stranger. I am thankful for each day with my family.







INGREDIENTS for Coconut Shortbread crust


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
½ cup shredded coconut, sweetened
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 tbs cold butter, cubed
1 large egg yolk
Slivered toasted almonds (optional)







INGREDIENTS for Amaretto Pastry Cream


3 cups Heavy Cream or Half & half
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup + 1 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
3 large eggs
3 Tablespoons Amaretto
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 Tablespoons Butter







DIRECTIONS for Crust


Put the flour, sugar, coconut, and salt in the bowl and whisk together. Scatter the pieces of butter over the dry ingredients and press in with a potato masher—you should have pieces the size of oatmeal flakes and some the size of peas. Stir the yolk, just to break it up, and add it a little at a time until incorporated. Now work the dough into a ball, use a tablespoon of ice water to help the process along. Wrap in Saran Wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.


When ready roll out on to a floured parchment sheet. Fit into a tart buttered & floured tart pan. Bake fitted with foil and filled with beans at 375 for 25 minutes, then remove the beans and bake for another 8 minutes. Crust will be a gorgeous golden light brown.







DIRECTIONS for the Pastry Cream


Whisk the sugar, cornstarch, and eggs together.


Heat the cream & salt over a medium heat until hot. Pour (very slowly) about half the hot liquid into the egg mixture, whisking the whole time to prevent eggs from forming. Next pour the egg mixture into the cream and place back on the stove. Whisk the whole time until the mixture is thickened to the consistency of custard.

Remove from the heat and strain this over a large bowl, I used my flour sifter.
After 3 minutes add in the Amaretto, Vanilla extract, and butter. Mix well, then cover with saran wrap. Make sure to press the wrap on top of the cream. Place in the refrigerator to chill.


Assemble, share, enjoy.
Bless all the families in Tucson.


45 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That tart is magnificent! That filling is to die for. *drool*

Cheers,

Rosa

Brownieville Girl said...

what a nice man - sending him positive vibes!

Yummy tart.

egbkid said...

What a nice man! My mom used to tie the balloon to our wrists to fix this issue; with three children it would be difficult to chase after three separate balloons i would think!!
This tart looks delicious, thanks for sharing!!

Tracy said...

What a lovely story. Your tart looks wonderful, too!

~Kristin~ said...

Oh MY darlin'!

Siggy said...

Seriously STUNNING! Fabulous job and LOVE the post as well - xoxo

Anonymous said...

what an amazing story! I too was in tears about the tragedy in Arizona... heartbreaking.

This tart looks so yummy, thanks for sharing!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

What a positive story to help bring a smile amidst such sadness.

Kristen said...

I had a reader who was actually there at the strip mall in Tucson when the shooting happened. Being a fellow Arizonan, she emailed me immediately with her experience. It was shocking and horrible and way too close to home.

On the other hand, thank you for that sweet story of the balloon. It is nice to know that there are still sweet people roaming around. Hopefully more of them than the crazies.

Thirdly, great tart. So many great flavors going on there.

La Bella Cooks said...

The filling sounds absolutely divine. I've never tired coconut paired with amaretto before but I definitely would love to try this tart.

teresa said...

what a beautiful post, from beginning to end. it's those acts of kindness from strangers that shine an entirely new light on humanity, it's so refreshing.

love this tart, oh wow, i'd happily sink my teeth into that!

Faith said...

You had me at amaretto. O man.
I love stories of unexpected kindness!

Heather Baird said...

Thank you for sharing. I love your story. I love reading your blog. <3

Holly said...

What an awesome story!! That tart is gorgeous!!!

megan said...

beautiful story. And beautiful dessert. It looks so classy!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic story! It is so positive to remember that there still is good in the world, in spite of all the tragedy. Thank you so much for sharing. I needed that story today :)

Unknown said...

You have the best stories with your food! That man is a stud in a mothers eye : ) And God bless the survivors and families that were affected in Arizona : (

Brenda said...

That's such a cute story. I work at a Ralph's Grocery store and we always blow up ballons for the kids sitting in the carts.. This reminded me of it! :) Did you end up taking pictures this weekend?

aipi said...

am looking greedily at the picture and trying hard not to drool on the keyboard now....seriously no kiddin' this is as they say- fingerlicking good :)


US Masala

Diana's Cocina said...

Well said. Lovely tart and full of flavor.

Unknown said...

That truly is a sad story about the shootings in Tucson. (I live just outside of Phoenix) The state is definitely in shock! But what a great story of the man and the balloon to follow it up with! See, there is still is good out there. And speaking of good.... dang that tart looks amazing!!!

Unknown said...

What a great story, thanks for sharing as it restores my faith in the human population after this weekends events. I woke up last night and couldn't stop thinking about it and how sad I felt for all the victims and their loved ones. I pray for them too.

Amazing looking tart too - I love amaratto!

Clements Family said...

Beautiful post....great story...and great recipe:)

Val said...

Your tart is gorgeous and I'd love this for breakfast, right now.

Lindsay said...

Lovely story. I love unexpected moments like that. And, of course, lovely tart!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Oh Jen, this looks heavenly! I bought a tart pan ages ago but haven't found anything interesting enough to bake in it. THIS, however, will definitely hit the spot. Thanks for sharing this great recipe and your wonderful photography, too!

BakingWithoutaBox said...

What a beautiful touching story. We get so many of the tragic ones that it makes me crave those like yours of a stranger doing something special for another. Particularly a child like your little darling. And what a great recipe to go with it. Great job!

Lori said...

Go gratitude. That is very cool.

And this tart is really cool too. I know I would love the flavor.

Unknown said...

What a nice guy! I love when people are good. It gives some hope that not everything in the world is crappy. Know what I mean?

Kristen said...

you are a wondrful person. from the words about Tucson, to the way you speak about your love for your daughter, its great to read. What a nice man to retrieve her balloon.

The pastry cream! ahh heavenly.

Lori said...

Such a lovely post ... as per your normal ... It is good to be reminded that in this often sad world, there are some how go that extra mile.

Pushpa said...

Tart looks absolutely divine and delicious.

The Cooking Photographer said...

Jennifer this made my heart so happy! What a great guy to help poor Indigo get her balloon back. I'm still smiling!

Oh and this tart is beautiful!

L

Unknown said...

Enjoyed reading your cute story :) Tart looks fabulous!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I don't know what I love more - the tart or the story! And yes you are blessed with your darling little one and hubby. Just a wonderful post hun!!

Kathleen said...

Sweet story. This tart looks SERIOUSLY delicious!

Amanda said...

mmm, this looks amazing. enjoyed reading, what a sweet man!

-amanda
http://seegirlcook.com

Julie said...

That is a very sweet story! And the tart..oh my :)

Monet said...

What a beautiful post...my heart also goes out to the families of the victims. I join you in prayer. Your story was so touching though...those small acts of kindness are what remind me of why it is so great to be in this world. And of course, your tart looks outstanding. You can do no wrong!

Katrina said...

I think there's more good people than ones like the creep in Tucson. Sweet balloon man. ;)
And what a heavenly tart.

Nachiketa said...

L-O-V-E the tart and it's amazing flavours....
Balloons still have a strange way of making me happy....
My mom use to tie their strings to my wrist else I'd end up loosing them n then Wail....
Bless the stranger for his kindness... :)

Happy New Year!!!
Cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Sue said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet story. Thankfully, there IS goodness out there.
Your tart is amazing!

Marisa Seguin said...

Oh. My. Gosh. My jaw just hit the floor. Amaretto and coconut are my two favourite desserty flavours. I must try this asap!

Rick said...

You are one of the few people who excite me with every sugary concoction you make. Every single one, I want to make and devour. Sell them!

Monica H said...

My heart breaks for those families too.

yes, indeed. That guy deserves a balloon for himself too.

That tart looks amazing. The light in your kitchen is so nice.