Sunday, January 16, 2011

Italian Roast Pudding with Cookie Croutons





Coffee.


Oh how I love thee, let me count the ways.


1. You help people make it to work, chipper.
2. You help make my house clean when disaster strikes.
3. In baked goods you add pizazz
4. You set a mood and are a great fill in for wine.
5. You babysit Indigo when I can’t find a sitter.
6. World Peace is in your sights.
7. 5 &6 are lies
8. I love cheese too.
9. This post will also include browned butter chocolate chip cookies.
9. I am off track let’s see the recipes.


Delightfully lifted & slightly altered the pudding from : Life’s A Feast
Delightfully stole for the 2ND time on the same day from Completely Delicious, she provided the cookies







INGREDIENTS for pudding (serves 6-8)


3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I used light brown)
3 Tbs cornstarch
2 individual packs of Starbucks Italian Roast Via Coffee packets
3 ¾ cups half & half or cream







DIRECTIONS for pudding


Put the brown sugar, cornstarch and espresso powder in a small saucepan and whisk to blend. Add about 3/4 cup of the cream or half-and-half and whisk until the coffee is almost dissolved. Whisk in the remaining half-and-half. Cook, whisking frequently, over medium heat until boiling. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.







Pour into a bowl, cover tightly (touching) with saran wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours.







INGREDIENTS for cookies (makes about 15)


1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cups chocolate chips







DIRECTIONS for Cookies


In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Once melted, continue to cook until it turns golden brown. You will get a nice nutty smell, with tiny flecks. Remove from the heat and pour into a shallow dish. Store in the refrigerator until it is just solid again.


Pre-heat your oven to 375.







Beat the brown butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium high speed with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.


Spoon by the tablespoon on to a parchment lined baking sheet and get your baking on…about 12 minutes.


Remove from oven – cool – dice into small squares and sprinkle on the pudding.


Serve … sit back…there it is….you are now being hailed as the queen and really...you deserve it.



45 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

Looks awesome! Coffee is seriously the best. I had an espresso pot de creme the other night... now I kind of wish it had cookies on top!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

As much as I love all of these photos, I am so envious of your sunshine and flowers!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

omg... two of my favorite things, coffee and cookies... this could be very bad for my thighs... love it!

Reeni said...

Coffee pudding - how delectable! I want if for breakfast! The cookies sound extra special too with brown butter.

theUngourmet said...

I'm with you on the coffee list! This pudding is awesome, I'm loving the cookie croutons. Brilliant!

Jamie said...

Oooh now I want more espresso pudding! Yours looks perfect and I love the addition of...cookies! Glad you made this great recipe, even tweaked it must be just as fab! I am so a coffee freak!

Allie said...

Ode to coffee! I don't think the world would be as happy of a place without it :) Beautiful photos and a delicious recipe. I have never heard of coffee pudding but it sounds great and seems pretty simple!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a great dessert! Your cookies are beautiful.

Cheers,

Rosa

Brownieville Girl said...

I'm a bit of a coffee addict - this is my kind of dessert!

Fantastic presentation too.

Unknown said...

OMG...I think I could literally dive into a big vat of that pudding...and you could just throw the cookies in so I'd have something to relax on!!! YUM!!!

egbkid said...

Looks great! I don't like the taste of coffee, but i love the smell of it!

Siggy said...

I don't even know where to begin...absolutely genius!!! The pictures are seriously fabulous and this sounds soooo freakin' yummy!

Unknown said...

Mmmm, my favorite is the cookie dough picture B4 baking! Your husband and daughter are lucky ducks!!!

Val said...

Holy Moly!!!! Coffee Pudding??? I'm loving this.

Flourchild said...

I am hungry now, this looks incredible..and the sunshine and flowers in the backgroud..girl where do you live!??

Unknown said...

LOL, Flourchild. I live in san Diego california. It was about 82 there this weekend...gorgeous!

Diane Schmidt said...

I'll have to make this, my kids always say they like coffee and this sweet treat may just be right up their alley.

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

Looks and sounds like a great recipe!! I love coffee too...but can't tell anyone when I use it for baking :) You have gorgeous photos too!

I also wanted to say thanks for the idea of keeping a notebook and jotting things down throughout the day. A great idea!

Elizabeth said...

This makes me long for sun... and cookies... beautiful photos!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Oh my goodness, Jen, this sounds like pure heaven in a dessert! I'm already planning on making chocolate chip cookies this week, but I think I need to make this pudding too! Mmmm. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

aipi said...

I wish I was your neighbour..what a lovely lovely treat : )


US Masala

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos and oh Yum! I absolutely love coffee in puddings. And I really like the bowls. :)

BakingWithoutaBox said...

Cookie croutons. Oh. yeah. Your pudding and cookies look fabulous. Gorgeous photography. Indigo just keeps getting cuter and cuter. What a little heartbreaker.

Anonymous said...

I exist on coffee here lately, so coffee in dessert sounds like the best idea yet! I haven't baked with the Via yet. It definitely needs to be on my to-do list :)

teresa said...

what a FUN dessert. i adore the cookie croutons, i would never think to do something like that, delicious!

Joyti said...

Coffee = world peace ... so cute :)
And the cookie croutons are adorable, and look delicious!

Marisa Seguin said...

Cookie croutons? Genius!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

That is an incredible dessert!! Coffee pudding with chocolate chip cookies, how could it not be delicious!!
I need my coffee everyday too!
Cheers
Dennis

erica said...

Can I come live with you? You always cook and bake the BEST looking items!

yum!

xo

Annie's Dish said...

Oh I think I feel just about the same way as you do when it comes to coffee. I love it in just about anything. Not much is better than coffee infused pudding over cookie croutons!

Velva said...

The roast pudding with cookie croutons is rocking my world. Love it!

Love the photos by the window, the natural light on the photos is beautiful.

Velva

Monet said...

I adore coffee. I made Ryan go to the grocery store with me this morning because we ran out yesterday, and I can't start my day without it! I love this amazing dessert your shared with us. Coffee pudding? Completely inspired! Thank you for sharing another great recipe. I hope that you have a wonderful Tuesday filled with love and good eating!

Unknown said...

Delicious pudding..and lovely clicks..

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

This actually looks incredible. I, too, worship coffee! Why don't we serve every dessert with cookies?!

Kris Ngoei said...

Delicious pudding and cookies that fit perfectly on these gorgeous serving bowls. The setting on your table is so nice and reminds me of a perfect day :-)

Btw, cant help but notice how beautiful Indigo is in the picture on the right side bar.

Carolyn said...

Coffee makes the world go round. It's my life-blood! Honestly. I will eat almost anything coffee-flavoured and this pudding is not exception. And I adore the idea of the cookie croutons!

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

What a wonderful, wonderful concoction! Delectable! So many of my favorite things, and coffee's at the top of the list! If only coffee could babysit Indigo.

Yasmeen said...

Jenni,please trace back for a surprise.

Peggy said...

whoa... this sounds amazing! I'm a huge coffee fanatic (I can't live without it... addiction, maybe? Hehe)

claire said...

coffee and cookies and so much sunshine!

i would die to be in your kitchen right now!

Monica H said...

oh yes! coffee is a friend of mine too!

Sue said...

You had me at "cookie croutons"!

Lisa said...

What a dessert! Words can't describe just how delicious this looks.

scrambledhenfruit said...

Those cookie croutons are just amazing as a topping for that pudding. Yum!

Annalise said...

What a fantastic idea! Love it! So glad you liked the cookies.