Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mushroom Risotto with Peas





I have holiday hangover!


Yikes…


Being at work for 5 days straight, no vacation days seems like a HUGE task.
It’s like I was at this party for a month and now I am stone sober facing life again.

It does not help that I have this crazy addiction to:

1. Bad TV
2. Baking
3. Vacuuming (I do it every day for reals)
4. Doing Laundry (total lie but I am trying osmosis through my blog)
5. Being a perfect mom (see above addiction & notes)






Trying to fit that list into the time I have off is a daunting task…which normally leads me to bake and cook myself into feeling better…and then I make Indigo give me kisses and tell me she loves me..then I let her get back to her tea party…which I am often forced into participating in against my will! Ha


Speaking of things I am forced to participate in against my will, eating this Risotto was not one them. I was all for it.


Things I hate to participate in include the following : Chopping large amount of onions, waiting for shows to start (I will pay copious amounts for a whole season at once!), trying on bathing suits…kick to the gut if you ask me.


Delightfully borrowed from Giada






INGREDIENTS

• 8 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
• 1/4 cup unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cups finely chopped onions
• 12 ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped (I used baby bella)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or short-grain white rice
• 2/3 cup dry white wine
• 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
• 2/3 cup grated Parmesan
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, optional






DIRECTIONS

In a pot keep the broth warm over very low heat.


Melt the butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the white mushrooms and garlic. Saute until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and let it toast for a few minutes.






Add the wine; cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of hot broth; simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, adding more broth by cupfuls and stirring often, about 28 minutes (the rice will absorb 6 to 8 cups of broth). Stir in the peas. Mix in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste






OK, I’m off to go drink some fake tea…willingly this time…really, I swear

30 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So creamy and delicious looking!

Cheers,

Rosa

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I want a big bowl of this right now!

Brownieville Girl said...

There is something so affirming about cooking and eating risotto - this one looks amazing. Perfect texture.

The Cooking Photographer said...

Lol woman you crack me up! Beautiful risotto and you have such nice light in your kitchen.

I wish I had light. Oh well, that's what I get for living in this frozen tundra.

L

Emily said...

Oooh I love risotto.. especially with peas. It looks wonderful.

I have an addiction to baking and bad tv, too! :)

aipi said...

This looks like a gorgeous dish! Love the presentation and color of the risotto!


US Masala

La Bella Cooks said...

This is one of my favorite Giada dishes. Yours has me craving a bite...or the whole plate! Bad tv is so very addictive, I am with you on that.

Unknown said...

I will have to try Giada's recipe for sure - all her stuff is great! This looks wonderful!

Ahhh...the tea party invitation...I know it well ;)

Zoe said...

Cooking risotto is one of my biggest fear...I'm afraid to serve burnt or undercooked risotto. Yours is so perfect.

Katrina said...

I've never made risotto. Looks great.
Confessions--I watch a lot of bad TV, too. Drives my husband nuts. It's my guilty pleasure. ;)

Clements Family said...

I love risotto! That looks great! PS...I love bad tv too:)

Taylor said...

Yum! Looks like we are on the same page with the risotto today :)

scrambledhenfruit said...

I had a hard time going back to work this week as well...there were so many things at home I wanted to do. Sigh. This risotto looks yummy!

Sue said...

Besides great recipes and photos, you make me laugh:)

Kim said...

Your risotto is prepared to perfection! It's gorgeous!

Tea parties are so much better than going to work. But, going to work is better than trying on bathing suits. LOL!

Unknown said...

I'm with you on the bathing suit...just like a kick in the stomach!! lol
The risotto looks incredible! I wish i could get Chris to eat it...damn picky boys!!

Kristen said...

the view out your kitchen window looks pleasant and calming. I love the mushroom and pea combo. I've used it in a gnocci dish. risotto is a great idea, too!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

What a delicious looking, creamy risotto and an awesome plate to put it on! This recipe is calling my name, Jen... I haven't made risotto in too damn long! Thanks for sharing!

teresa said...

oh my goodness, i'm SO craving this dish. i love everything you put in it. i also can't believe what a beautiful view you get out your window, we're totally covered in snow right now!

Lindsay said...

Yum! I love risotto. Thanks for sharing a new spin on it!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Love Giada (aside from her sandwich kicks - it's just hard to get excited about a sandwich for dinner IMO - too many years stealing leftover sammies from conference rooms as a poor twenty something...) But what I love even more than her is your damn pictures! How do you do it? And raise the most darling child on earth? And hold a job? And vacuum everyday? Just stop it already...geez!!!

Unknown said...

Looks delish! I have an addiction to bad TV too :( Have I mentioned that your little Indigo is a DOLL!!! So cute!

Kris Ngoei said...

Happy new year!

I do understand how working 5 days a week could make us sacrifice other things. Most important things is we still have fun doing the rest of things in our limited free time.

This risotto looks like it was cooked out of fun :-) Happy Risotto!

claire said...

we have a restaurant called taverna here... they make a similar risotto and i have been searching high and low for a recipe!

cant wait to try it!

Monet said...

I love risotto...and peas remind me of my childhood, which is usually a good thing. I start up work next week, and I'm not looking forward to it. Teaching and going to grad school means my winter break is EXTREMELY long. It makes it all the harder to go back! And I clean obsessively, like you. It is hard to stop, I know.

Sara Louise said...

Mushroom risotto is on of my husband's favorite dishes. Next time I make it I think I'll sneak some peas into it :-)

Beth said...

There's nothing like tea parties with little girls. I miss those days!

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

Oooh these are perfect for me right now, we're going vegetarian this month due to our Holiday hangover! :)

Eliana said...

Hmmmm - this has delicious and comfort written all over it!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

I cannot resist risotto and I adore mushrooms and peas! This is a keeper recipe for sure! You blog is now on my fave blog list, cuz I gotta keep visiting you to keep up with all of your great posts!!!