Thursday, January 13, 2011

White Chicken Chili





Call an ambulance…I have lost my senses of taste & smell! Yikes.


Having a cold sucks for a person addicted to food.


Having a cold sucks for a person who has a hard time sleeping as it is.


Having a cold sucks for a person who just invited people over and is praying to the cold gods to remedy the situation by Saturday because she has all this fantastic stuff she needs to cook and eat and drink..phew







You know what rocks while you’re sick? Besides the day off of course (which I do not have, cry)…chili in your belly, it just seems right. The nasal passages cleared for just the right amount of time for me to enjoy this…then they closed right up on my glass of Sauvignon Blanc.


If my nasal passages ever show themselves in human form I will promptly whoop their butt.


This recipe was delightfully borrowed from a website I stalk constantly…Pioneer Woman PS….all you foodies…she is having a photography contest for FOOD pictures, so hop on over…I realize I am hurting my chances of the grand win I have planned but I am praying to the karma gods here about my cold.







INGREDIENTS

• 3 cups shredded chicken
• 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
• 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
• 2 whole Cans Green Chilies, Chopped
• 1 pound Dried Great Northern Beans, Rinsed
• 8 cups Chicken Broth
• 2 whole Jalapenos, Sliced
• 1-½ Tablespoon Ground Cumin
• ½ teaspoons Paprika
• ½ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
• Salt To Taste
• White Pepper, To Taste
• 1 cup Whole Milk
• 2 Tablespoons Masa
• Grated Monterey Jack, To Taste
• Sour Cream For Garnish
• Cilantro For Garnish







DIRECTIONS

In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add chopped green chilies, then rinsed beans. Pour chicken broth into the pan. Add sliced jalapenos. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Place lid on pot and reduce heat to low.


Cook for 2 hours or until beans are done. Halfway through the cooking process, add 3 cups of cooked chicken.







When beans are tender, mix milk with masa and pour into the chili. Cook for an additional ten minutes to thicken. Check seasoning and adjust, adding cayenne pepper and paprika if desired.


Add some Monterey Jack cheese to the pot and stir to melt.


Serve chili in a bowl. Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, extra cheese


PS. Reserve a bowl for the cold gods, you just never know what will work with those jerks.

PS. Hide a 2nd bowl in the back of the fridge, aka the area your significant other will not find it.

PS. I have let my cats in and out of the house approximately 7,234 times this week…so far…yes this is off topic…but dear lord pick a side cats.



38 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That chili looks mighty good and so comforting! I heart Mexican food.

Cheers,

Rosa

tinyskillet said...

Your white chilli looks good! Thanks for reminding me of making white chili again, my daughter used to request it often! Sorry about your cold...wishing you a speedy recovery!

Unknown said...

Made this a while ago and I can vouch for how wonderful it is to heal the sick! Good for the soul.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I hope you get better real soon!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Mmm, chicken chili is my favorite winter soup. This looks absolutely delicious, Jen. Feel better soon!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Hi Jen, Thanks for the sweet comment! To answer your question... Microsoft Paint. I open up one photo in it, stretch the canvas sideways, and paste in another photo. Done and done!

Pam said...

I want this for dinner! It looks really tasty.

Junko said...

Looks so comforting and perfect for the rainy weather we're having in Seattle.

Unknown said...

That's intriguing, I have never come across anything like this before. I guess the closest thing I can think of is thai curry? Lovely looking pictures too.

Val said...

Girl, I want some!!! Looks amazing.

Unknown said...

It looks extremely delicious! I hope you will get well soon!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is really lovely and I wish I could have a bowl of it as I type. It looks and sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

erica said...

Oh my word this looks absolutely heavenly. I am so going to make this. Thanks for sharing doll.

xo

Clements Family said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this soup! Feel better!

FOODESSA said...

Jennefer...how beautiful your photos are in that stunning bright light...looks so cheerful.

Soup is meal I have at least 4-5 times during the week...a real 'make you feel better feeling' for sure!

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Taylor said...

Losing your sense of taste is the absolute worst part about getting sick!!! This soup looks like the perfect soup to curl up with on a cold night like tonight :)

Treat and Trick said...

Love this combo, it looks yummy and nutritious! Have a speedy recovery dear...

http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

Lori said...

I just made some white chicken chili and I have to say mine does not look as stunning as yours. I'd love a nice cup of that.

aipi said...

Sounds very warm n comforting!

US Masala

Angie's Recipes said...

Your chilli chicken looks out of this world GOOD and COMFORTING! Great pictures too!

Unknown said...

This looks seriously good. I could go for a huge bowl of it right now! (ps..good luck with the photo contest..I love your pictures!!!)

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon! It's so frustrating to lose your sense of smell and taste. Colds are the worst sometimes. PS ~ I LOVE this chili. It's awesome. Have a great weekend!!!

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

How did you know that white chili is on my "comfort-foods-I-haven't-tried-yet-but-need-to" list?!?

You made me laugh today -- again -- hope the cold gods take pity on you before the soiree! And good luck in the photography contest.

teresa said...

oh i'm sorry to hear about your cold! that's the worst. this looks like a wonderfully healing dish, i love all of the flavors!

Unknown said...

Feel better! So true - a cold is the food lovers worst enemy!!!

I love this recipe...all those ingredients are simply PERFECT! Love its consistency too!

Unknown said...

That is the worst, when you cant taste your food when your sick! It seems like every time I get a cold that happens to me : ( But the recipe looks delish! Yum Yum Yum!

Deborah said...

LOVE that this has green chiles in it! My fav!

Chef Bee said...

I hate being sick. I hope your chili did the trick to heal you. Take care of yourself.

Plan B

Anonymous said...

These chili looks fantastic! I hope it has you feeling better by tomorrow too :) Entertaining is one of my favorites!

Monet said...

The pioneer woman never lets me down! And you don't either! This soup looks and sounds amazing I only wish you were feeling a bit better. I hate it when I can't smell...there is nothing worse when you're a foodie. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I'm sending healing thoughts your way!

shaz said...

Hope you're feeling better now Jen. I've never heard of white chilli before but it sure sounds like it would do the trick when it comes to clearing those sinuses :) Btw I loved your comment you left about the skunks! LOL

Sally said...

Jennifer, can you catch a cold virtually? Now I have one, so am finishing up all the soup in my freezer and when it's gone (sneeze!) I'll have to try this one (sneeze! and sneeze! again). That's how many times I sneezed while writing this, so thanks for the soup!

Brownieville Girl said...

Perfect chilli - sick or well!!!

Best of luck with the PW competition - not that you need it :-}

Kristen said...

I wish you much luck in the competition. I always enjoy seeing the pictures you take.

claire said...

Good luck!

i am DEFINITELY making this!

Sue said...

I love white chicken chili and yours looks delicious! I hope you were well enough to have a good time with your guests!

Cindy said...

Love white chili! Your photos are beautiful, send them in--be a winner. Have a great day.

Christy said...

Your dishes all sounds so great, but as much as I appreciate the recipes, you do such a great job of photographing these!