Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Blueberry Cake with Fresh Blueberry Whipped Cream



I bake to bake. There I said it, half the time I only eat one piece and the rest is shipped off to my work or the hubbies. How on earth did this become such an obsession, just a few months ago the only cake a baked came from a box and now it’s on like donkey kong.

I have read many a blog that talked of going to the grocery store and not being able to pass up some inspirational items, recent examples for me would be: yogurt chips, fresh blueberries or an orange bit chocolate bar. The orange bit chocolate bar went nice with a great bottle of white wine, and the blueberries – well your about to see where they ended up (before my belly that is).

Delightfully borrowed from:
http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2009/10/11/lemon-blueberry-cake-with-blueberry-cream.html




INGREDIENTS for cake (made 7 mini loafs + 1 mini Bundt cake)

1 stick butter, softened
1 1/3 cups, sugar, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ tsp lemon zest
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups blueberries, lightly coated with powdered sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

DIRECTIONS for cake

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and grease baking dish of choice.

In a large bowl with mixer beat butter and exactly half of the sugar on medium/high speed until light and fluffy. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.

With your mixer, add in the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well blended. Next add flour mixture and milk, mixing just until blended. Gently stir in the blueberries by hand.

VOILA




Spoon batter into your desired pan, bake until a toothpick/skewer comes out clean. My mini loafs only took about 30 minutes, larger pans could take up to one hour.





With skewer, prick top and sides of warm cake. In a small bowl, mix lemon juice and the leftover sugar. With pastry brush, brush top and sides of warm cake with the lemon glaze (be generous). Cool cakes on wire rack.

BLUEBERRY WHIPPED CREAM




INGREDIENTS for blueberry whipped cream

½ cup whipping cream
¼ cup blueberries, mashed
3 tbs powdered sugar, or more for additional sweetness

DIRECTIONS for whipped blueberry cream

Whip together your cream and sugar, add sugar to your sweetness desire. Next add in the mashed blueberries and whip until the cream just turns blue.


Next…take your cake outside because it deserves a little sunshine and freshly cut grass…I mean don’t you take all your cakes for a walk before they are devoured??? NO, only me???





Next we place the blueberry cake on the grass…because Jennifurla is still learning how to photograph her food…lol




PS – This cake is even better the next day.

14 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

Great idea with the blueberry whipped cream. The cake looks perfectly moist too. I bake just to bake sometimes as well. It must be therapeutic or something!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a treat. These really look amazing. I suppose I could delay my diet for another day :-). Take care and have a good day. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

Yum, yum, yum! I love the cake and I really love the blueberry whipped cream - great idea.

Jhonny walker said...

baking has a calming effect. I love to bake too...and the best part is how slowly the fragrance of the baking cake spreads all over the house...

YOur blueberry cake and cream look fantastic

Oh I did forget to introduce myself. in the excitement of the bluebrries :)

I am jhonny walker..author of food thought for!

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you jhonny!

Tia said...

i love your blog. i found it through a comment you left on another TWD baker's blog :)
This cake looks wonderful and you have some great recipes! looking fwd to following you.

Unknown said...

What a fantastic cake!! Love the blue berry whipped cream too..

Thanks for visiting our space. I see that you have a lot of bakes in your space. Will try some of them and let you know. Glad to follow you :)

Michelle said...

Beautiful! Our blueberries are not happening yet, but we've got strawberries. Hmmm... I might have to give that a go. :)

The Cilantropist said...

Just saying hello, I came to your site from Daydreamer Desserts because you said you lived in San Diego and I am down here in So Cal too! :) Nice to see a fellow San Diegan foodie!

And, these blueberry loaves are adorable, I love to bake just to bake as well. I really love to give food away so I think it is ok. ;)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Irresistible! I love blueberries, so that cake would not last long at my place!

Cheers,

Rosa

Chef Dennis Littley said...

you had me at the blueberry cake.....then you had to add blueberry cream.....sigh....now I'm hungry again!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I'm a baking addict too, if that makes you feel any better. ;)
This is gorgeous, Jennifurla! I love blueberries, can't wait to add this recipe to my list!

Mary said...

This looks fantastic! I love blueberry cake, and am bookmarking this for blueberry season!

HoosierHomemade said...

Yum! What a great recipe! If you would like some photography tips, I have some over at...
http://itsablogparty.com/say-cheesepositively-splendid-guest-post/

Thanks for linking up to Blog Party! I'd appreciate a link back if you have a minute. I'd like to feature you tomorrow.
~Liz