Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Honey Cake



Need a fantastic little cake? Did I hear a yes? Did anyone raise their hand? I have a great cake for you then, Honey Cake! Honey cake is a traditional sweet that is served on Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. This particular recipe is fabulous; it is so moist and wonderfully spiced.

I baked two mini loafs, and one large 9x13 sheet cake. I then topped with a little glaze made of half & half and powdered sugar. I think an orange glaze would be awesome too. Please enjoy!



INGREDIENTS

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup warm coffee
1/2 cup apple juice

Glaze – ¼ cup half and half + powdered sugar (mix in to your desired consistency)

DIRECTIONS

Pre-heat your oven to 350, grease your baking dishes of choice.



In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Make a well in the center, and add oil, honey, white sugar, brown sugars, eggs, vanilla, warm coffee, and apple juice. Now blend all ingredients together with a whisk, spoon, or spatula – make sure to get it all. Batter will be quite thin, don’t be nervous! Now just pour into your greased baking dish.



Bake for 45-65 minutes depending on dish used. Cakes are done when you can gently press the center and it springs back. I can smell this cake baking now, so delicious!



Now it is time to have fun with the fruits of your labor, I gave the above loaf to my neighbor. This makes one large cake so why don’t you do the same!




Happy baking & eating

6 comments:

Tracy said...

YUM! Wish I had a slice of this right now. :-) Bookmarked it for later!

Pam said...

This looks really wonderful - I know my children would love it.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

gorgeous little cake...I wouldn't have left the bite for you to take a pic of....lol.....chew, swallow, repeat.....thats my motto!!

La Bella Cooks said...

Oh my goodness, this sounds and looks divine!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

It looks amazing...and I want your dotted plate!

Unknown said...

Honey Cake looks fabulous, great recipe! Bookmarked!!