Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Fresh Strawberry & Vanilla Yogurt Scones



I have lived with my husband for a darn long time, I moved in with him soon after our first *date*. He was up for impressing by taking me to the Olive Garden, he he. I was such a young lady back then, maybe all of 21…I think. My memory is not something to brag about.

Anyways, we were just back from a 6 month deployment to the Persian Gulf (both former US Navy). I had been eyeballing him and chasing him around like a pup for quite some time. For some reason he would just not give me the attention I wanted, but ahhhhh this is most likely why my attention never waned. So after we got back from cruise we hung out a few time and did our *date* shortly after my roommate (who had been roommate free for 6 months) decided she wanted to remain that way – what other choice did he have but to take me in. Here we are, still together.

Recipe delightfully borrowed from: http://www.deliciousdelicious.com/archives/2005/04/to_the_point_st.html



INGREDIENTS FOR SCONES


2 cups flour
3 TB. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
4 TB. butter, cold, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
3/4 cup chopped strawberries
3/4 vanilla low fat yogurt

INGREDIENTS FOR GLAZE


2 TB. half and half
confectioner's sugar

DIRECTIONS


Preheat your oven to 425 degrees & line a round cake pan with parchment paper and lightly flour.

Stir together dry ingredients. With a potato masher, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and then stir in strawberries. Stir in enough yogurt to be able to form dough into a ball (up to 3/4 cup). I used the full amount.

Put the dough on a large square of parchment paper that has been floured, work it into a ball. Once in a ball shape work it into a 1 inch thick rectangle. You might need to frequently flour your hands, this stuff is sticky! Once in the shape of a rectangle fold it into thirds like you were folding a written letter.



Now place your dough into the parchment lined cake pan, work it out until it fills the pan. Once it is in the pan fully, cut the dough into 8 equal triangles and flip onto a parchment lined baking pan. You should now have 8 perfect little scones.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.

After the scones have cooled a bit, mix the half & half with the powdered sugar until you get the desired consistency.

To store place in a Ziploc bag but do not seal entirely, they were great 24 hours later.

3 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

I love your story as it is always fun to hear about how other people met their loves. I appreciate you taking the time to visit and comment on my blog as it led me here to yours.
This scones would not last long in my home, mainly because of my love of strawberries. They could be dangerous!
The pic of you and your baby is darling. Love it!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much, thanks for stopping in! I also look forward to reading your blog and watching what you are making.

Pam said...

I have yet to make scones... these look amazing.