Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Turkey Sausage & Goat Cheese Lasagna



Sometimes you just hit recipe gold, I can not even count the hours I spent in the kitchen over the weekend (gladly spent might I add). Between baking, MTV reruns & Indigo, I was quite the busy lady. By the way, I am admitting right now that I vowed not to watch anymore MTV but I totally failed over the weekend – bad TV is like a drug to me!



I ate this Lasagna from Friday on up until Monday; sometimes you don’t choose to eat the same thing 3 days in a row but this I gladly did. I remember back about 8 years ago where I had to eat Ramen for weeks on end…this I did not gladly do - which is odd since in high school it was my main source of calories!

Here are a few reasons to make this Lasagna –

1. It will impress guests
2. It is a departure with that spiffy thing I love so much = GOAT CHEESE
3. Ina thought it up, she is a lady of perfection

INGREDIENTS

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
• 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
• 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 pound lasagna noodles
• 15 ounces ricotta cheese
• 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
• 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.

Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside



Assemble at your leisure, I did sauce, noodle, ricotta, mozzarella – on up with 3 layers. The top was just a wee bit of sauce with mozzarella bits and parmesan.



Now out of the oven after 30 minutes or so.

3 comments:

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

It looks fabulous and so comforting! Bravo!

Shannon said...

ohhh Ms Furla, feel free to bake one of these babies and send my way. Does goat cheese not make anything better? I want!!

Tracy said...

This is perfect comfort food! I love the substitution of turkey sausage to make it more healthy!