Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Grilled Avocado anybody?



Grilled avocado’s, I live in Southern California - I do believe I should have known about these before now! I came across this idea at a blog I frequent and follow:

http://themerlinmenu.blogspot.com/2010/06/grilled-balsamic-avocado.html

Me – Hubster and the little light of my life…(Indigo) all enjoyed these and now I can think of all sorts of things I will be grilling this summer, next I hope to try some fruit for dessert and maybe some foil pouches of fresh fish and herbs. I feel like I am hitting my groove for summer time and well watch out grill because here I come!

INGREDIENTS

1 Avocado per person
1 tbs of balsamic vinegar per Avocado
Salt & Pepper for taste

DIRECTIONS

Half each Avocado and remove the seed. Next cut the avocado into squares without removing it from the skin.



Put 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar on each Avocado and let them sit for about 15 minutes before grilling.



Now it is time for grilling, I put my avocado’s on the top shelf in my grill and they were in there doing their thing for just under 10 minutes – What you want to keep an eye out for is when the avocado pieces start pushing out of the skin.



Remove from the grill, sprinkle with salt and pepper – then crack a beer and slice some lemon…

14 comments:

Alexia said...

I will be trying this. Never thought to put avocado on the grill but it sounds so good.

Michelle J said...

Do you need to use an under ripe avocado to keep it from turning to mush?

Jennifurla said...

I used just a normal one that I would have selected for use, somewhere right in the middle since I prefer an avocado that keeps it's shape. I always get one that I can only slightly push in with my finger.

Cori said...

Oh my! I have lived in So Cal forever too and didn't know to do this either! Then again, I just started liking avocados, so this pretty good timing. PS Your blog is awesome and so is your daughter :)

SprinkleBakes said...

Wow - this sounds EXCELLENT! Never thought to grill them before.

luckytastebuds said...

Wow I never thought to grill avocado's before!!! I'm wondering if the unripened fruits can be grilled till softened so they have a softer and creamier texture!! I love that you'd put balsamic on it! I think balsamic brings out the best in so many natural foods. :) Thankyou for a fantastic recipe!

Chef Dennis said...

now thats something I never would have thought of! I will definitely try it!

Deborah said...

I've never seen this done before but you can bet I'm going to try it!

maybelle's mom said...

I haven't been to your blog in a while--but I can't remember why. It is so lovely here and so is your indigo. I would love to try this but we have extremely serious Avacado allergies in the family. Alas there are your pictures.

Mary said...

I love these. I've made them but I must admit yours look much, much better than mine. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Shannon said...

I'm a huge avocado fan but never buy them...mostly because I don't know how to tell if they're good or not. And because I live in Philly where you just don't expect to get a good avocado.

But anyway, I had to come tell you...my husband calls me up yesterday from work telling me he came to your blog. He never does this so I found it kinda funny. Then he says "yeah, the avocados? You have to make". So apparently he expects them now! And being the dutiful wife I am, I'll try it out this weekend :)

cookies and cups said...

oh wow! I never even THOUGHT about grilling avocado, it sounds (and looks) AMAZING!!

Neo-Homesteading said...

These look so great! I must try this sometime!

Nirmala said...

I have never grilled avocado, ever. Never occurred to me until I read your blog. Thanks for sharing.