Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lemon Tart - Happy 4th!!




Lemons, I just happened to aquire a whole bag of yard lemons from my church lifegroup leader. Perhaps this was a hint I was to bring something to our next meeting, I had bragged of my love for baking but was yet to produce anything for people to eat. I decided to test out a few things this weekend so that come next week I could wow them.


A couple of months ago I tried out a sweet tart pastry crust that I absolutely loved (made mini tarts). I decided to try a lemon tart this time,and the results were just lovely and kept us feeling all fancy every morning as we enjoyed it with a stong cup of coffee.


This recipe consist of 2 parts, the crust and the lemon curd filling.





INGREDIENTS & DIRECTIONS FOR THE TART SHELL ARE HERE:


http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Tart-Pastry/Detail.aspx


LEMON FILLING INGREDIENTS
(makes thick filling, half for a more scant tart)

1 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
grated zest of two medium lemons
1 cup sugar
10 tablespoons butter, salted or unsalted, cut into bits
4 large eggs
4 large egg yolks


DIRECTIONS


Pre-bake your tart shell

FOR THE CURD



Preheat the oven to 350F (180C.)





1. In a medium-sized non-reactive saucepan, heat the lemon juice, zest, sugar, and butter. Have a mesh strainer nearby.


2. In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and the yolks.


3. When the butter is melted, whisk some of the warm lemon mixture into the eggs, stirring constantly, to warm them. Scrape the warmed eggs back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and almost begins to bubble around the edges.




4. Pour the lemon curd though a strainer directly into the pre-baked tart shell, scraping with a rubber spatula to press it through.


5. Smooth the top of the tart and pop it in the oven for five minutes, just to set the curd.

The results are pretty darn breathtaking.





And a perfect slice





Here I am 3 days out and I have to say the flavors are even better, which suprised me - I am enjoying a hefty slice right now with my morning coffee and typing this up. Life is sweet & tart!


18 comments:

Valerie Gamine said...

The words 'lemon' and 'tart' are music to my hungry ears. This looks crazy delicious! :-)

WendyinKK said...

I can never make anything lemony, cos my husband hates it. I have to wait til my 2 lemon sucking girls grow up a few more years, then I make some lemon curd.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A beautiful tart! I am a big fan of citrusy desserts.

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

As much cooking as I do, I need to get with the program and make some lemon start, especially since the farmer's market next door has them exceptionally inexpensive!

Flanboyant Eats.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a gorgeous tart. Lemon desserts are my favorites. Yours sounds absolutely delicious. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Now that is one beautiful pie crust!! and your lemon is perfect!! your images are gorgeous!!

Julie said...

Wow, your tart shell looks awesome all on its own! But with the lemon filling...even better :)

Tia said...

everything about this post is so beautiful. the bright lemon color, the golden pie crust, pricked and pretty... love it all :)

Rick said...

Can I just say that your pictures are so amazing!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone!!

Kristen said...

Lemon desserts are some of my favorites. This is a gorgeous example of deliciousness. Yum Yum Yum!!

Diana's Cocina said...

What a perfect treat. I love anything lemon.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Oooo-I love all things lemon! This looks like a perfect place to pile some of my freshly picked raspberries!

Lacey said...

Looks like HEAVEN!

Do you think this would freeze well?

Tracy said...

I love lemon curd and this tart look AMAZING!

shaz said...

Absolutely picture perfect tart! Very fancy :)

Unknown said...

Lacey - not sure on freezing, I know I kept the tart in my ice cold fridge for almost 1 week and it tasted better each day.

Emily said...

More ideas for lemons! Thank you! I was sold... an eternal, faithful follower of your blog as soon as I read your take on the advice from your therapist! A kindred spirit! And your photos and recipes look amazing, too!