Monday, July 19, 2010

Strawberry Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce





Bread Pudding is something that I normally order when I go out to eat, not sure why but it just isn't on my radar for baking at home. I was on the internet looking at food recipes (imagine that!) and came across a Strawberry Bread Pudding from one the hardest working bloggers I enjoy following. I had some leftover Strawberries from my stuffed ones below and settled on this for a nice treat over the weekend.



Delightfully borrowed from : http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2010/07/strawberry-bread-pudding-pink-saturday.html

Thanks Mary.







INGREDIENTS

Bread Pudding
4 eggs
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup golden brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp sea salt
12 ounces French bread, torn or cut in bite-size pieces
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced & Diced
1/2 cup toasted coconut (only change from original recipe)

Caramel Sauce
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar

DIRECTIONS FOR THE BREAD PUDDING



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 x 8 x-2-inch pan. Once oven is ready toast your coconut in a separate dish for a few minutes then set aside.



Combine eggs, milk, both sugars, vanilla extract, spices and salt in a small bowl. Whisk until blended.







Place bread pieces into a large bowl. Pour milk mixture over bread and toss to combine. Let it sit for 15 minutes to allow the milk to be absorbed into bread. After 15 minutes mix in the stawberries and toasted coconut.







Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (there should be slight moisture)



DIRECTIONS FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE


Place butter in a sauce pan or sauce pan and melt over a medium heat - add in brown sugar and stir until it’s combined. Lower heat. Stir constantly, let sauce simmer until sugar is dissolved and it is slightly thickened, This should take about 5 minutes. Pour over your bread pudding when ready - serve warm.


17 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Looks gorgeous! Make a crumble topping for it, and it'll be super!!!

But I think it needs more custard mixture, so that the pudding will come out sticking together like a cake rather than falling apart or individual bread pieces being visible. Just my suggestion.

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Yum! I just bought strawberries today!

Unknown said...

This recipe looks so good! The strawberries are a nice addition.

Shannon said...

HELL YES. I want this right now. And I have those ingredients!! Today is totally my day :)

and I love the 5 reasons drinky quote over there!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hi Jennifurla!

What a delightful blog you have here! I have perused several of your posts and they are all so exciting!

Thanks for stopping by my place and leaving a comment! I am now your follower too!

Kindly, ldh

Eileen said...

This looks so good and perfect for a summer dessert because of all the fresh juicy strawberries and I like the idea of the toasted coconut. Yummy!

Bake-A-Holic said...

I just noticed that you live in SD! My husband and I lived there for a year during our first year of law school. We loved it! That's where the "beach" part of my blog name comes from.

Julie said...

Putting those pics up there...so not fair! Sounds delish :)

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Mmmm! My husband and I used to make MANY varieties of bread pudding when we first got married. It was sort of our go-to dinner party dessert. But I've never tried it with strawberries! It sounds fantastic!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for visiting my site!
The bread pudding looks so good and I'm not even a fan of bread pudding! I do love me some strawberries, though!! Yum!
http://jennsfoodjourney.blogspot.com

Chef Dennis Littley said...

that is a great looking bread pudding.... strawberries really liven it up! and then that lovely caramel sauce just brings it all together.
It took years for my girls to realize just how good bread pudding is, now they love it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the pudding. We love it here and it's a wonderful way to use summer's bounty. Thanks so much for the link love. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Shandy said...

Beautiful bread pudding! Don't you just love summertime with all the beautiful colors and juicy flavors we have to work with? Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the choices =). Happy baking!

Bo said...

I'm not usually a bread pudding fan, but with strawberries and coconut...I think I might like this one.

theUngourmet said...

I haven't had strawberries in bread pudding. Yum! The coconut is a terrific addition too!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Mmmmm, we love bread pudding! Banana's our fave with caramel sauce.
~ingrid

Rick said...

OMG!!!! I gasped when I saw this!