Thursday, July 8, 2010

Nectarine Cake




Let me be honest here, this cake is fabulous. It is drop dead gorgeous and has personality to boot. If this cake was a person, I would ask them on a date. So are you catching my drift here? This little nectarine cake needs no additions - no powdered sugar, drizzle, or icing. Let it march around in it's birthday suit or serve it up at a birthday for a special treat that isn't the norm.





INGREDIENTS


1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbs Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of cake
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 nectarines, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg


Equipment: a 9-inch springform pan





DIRECTIONS



Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Lightly oil springform pan.


Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cloves, and cinnamon.


Beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in extract. At a low speed, mix in flour mixture until just combined.





Spread batter evenly in pan, then scatter nectarines over top. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top.

Bake until cake is golden-brown and top is firm but tender when lightly touched (cake will rise over fruit), 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove side of pan and cool to warm.





“You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is.”


Please enjoy your weekend & have a sweet time.


12 comments:

Unknown said...

Fabulous cake!! I will surely give it a try sometime..

WendyinKK said...

Oh... too bad the nectarines all sank.. but it sure still look enticing.
I thought you have some ground hazelnuts in it, due to the colour, but no:)

Kristen said...

I have been chomping at the bit for weeks now waiting for nectarines to come into season. This is a lovely way to use them now that they are finally here. Cake! Cake! Cake!

shaz said...

This sounds lovely! I usually wonder what to do with nectarines at the end of the season, of course, the answer is cake :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I know this cake....I made it but used peaches. Good stuff! I also added cinnamon though I also added some cardamom. MMMMmm, now you have me wanting it again.

Happy Friday!
~ingrid

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delightful cake! I love nectarines more than peaches.... What a pretty plate.

Cheers,

Rosa

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Hi Jennafurla
what a great cake and such incredible images!
When you have time please stop by my blog, I have some awards for you if you would like them!
Dennis

Shandy said...

LOVE your nectarine cake! YUM! =) Isn't summertime fun with all the fresh fruits and veggies at our fingertips?

Shannon said...

This is the sort of recipe that I wish someone would just make for me. It looks aaaamazing. i just want to lay on my couch and have someone appear with a slice of it. Can you make that happen? hehe :)

Mary said...

This cake looks wonderful! I love cakes with fruit, so I have to try this soon. I just got some of the first local peaches here, so excited!

Anne said...

Oh that looks absolutely delicious. I love a simple, flavorful cake and your photos are stunning!

Cristina {Teenie Cakes} said...

I believe this is the first time I've visited your blog...it's lovely! So many good recipes. I purchased nectarines with intentions of cupcakes, but I think this recipe trumps my original intention. Thanks for sharing!